Update from Newbie08\'s Dad in Ireland

15 years 5 months ago #21961 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic Update from Newbie08\'s Dad in Ireland
Sorry to hear about your dad, unfortunately UTI's are very common for most of us after RC. I have had 4 since July, they wipe you out. It's reassuring to know the hospital are on top of things. My last UTI I had the shivers for 4 days, as I still had the suprapubic catheter in my urologist suggested a foley catheter to help with the IV fluid intake and output ........... perhaps you can discuss this, it will offer your dad some relief.
Bet wishes
Maria

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #21947 by Patricia
Update from Newbie08\'s Dad in Ireland was created by Patricia
Newbie's Dad had his neobladder done successfully by Dr. Bochner at MSK in NYC flying all the way from Ireland. His pre chemo done in Ireland prior to the surgery. Surgery seemed to go off without much of a hitch with an exception to a reaction to pain killers and he's now home in Ireland. She asked me to post this update for her as she has not been able to access this site lately so any suggestions, ideas, i will send back to her with her gratitute.

"All was going very well but unfortunately we've had a really bad week over here!! Things were going very well until Monday, I was at work and my mum called to say she thought my dad had a temperature, I left work and went home and his temp was above 102.5F, we rang the hospital in US and they said go to the emergency room so that's what we did, they gave him all sorts of tests and started him on antibiotics, his temperature continued to rise and spike all day Tues and Wednesday which was pretty scary because they couldn't seem to get it under control, they have established that it is a kidney infection and they know the bacteria causing it and that the antibiotics are correct but they still haven't got it properly under control even last night, the temp begins to go down but then up again???? My dad is pretty sick, freezing one minute, really hot the next and he's got pains everywhere and generally feeling crap!! Hoping that today will be a bit better because the correct antibiotics maybe will start taking effect!! It’s been a tough weekend and pretty disappointing because my dad was doing so well, he had started to improve a lot with his continence which gave him a boost, now he’s back a lot because of the constant IV fluids and I suppose going backwards doesn’t help his spirits!! Anyway he’s keeping positive and mostly in good form which I really admire, not sure I’d be so good, I’m sick of hospitals at this stage so can only imagine being the patient!!! Well suppose this is just another hurdle we’ll have to get over, hopefully by next week it’ll all be over!! "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne