Back and chest pain

15 years 6 months ago #21903 by kecwn
Replied by kecwn on topic Back and chest pain
Patricia,
Thank you for the info. She was suppose to go today for a shot and to get a prescription for something related to the deficiency. I know we discussed the B12 so I will say that is one of those. She will be getting 1 a month. Did not relize that the surgery could cause this, but it makes sense. I will read the article. I will also let her know about the ice cream. It is hard to get info from her because she wants so badly to be well and will ignore things for a long time before she tells someone there is a problem. I am in another state and am not able to see her as much as I want/need to. Thank you again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #21901 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Back and chest pain
Hi Kecwn......here's a good article on B9 or folic acid deficiency and the foods that will also negate a supplement and i hate to say that ice cream is one of them. With age we normally decline in our ability to absorb the B vitamins. Your Mom especially should also be checked for Bl2 deficiency as most of us especially the females seem to loose our Bl2 supply in short order if we've had a neobladder or indiana pouch and or dependent on which part of the intestine they re-sected. Mine was gone in 3 months time and i have to have a Bl2 shot every month....lack of Bl2 can cause all kinds of problems along with B9 deficiency. Take a look at the article and i would also strongly suggest due to her age that she see a cardiologist for a workup.
With folic acid the recommended dosage is 400mcg's which you will find in almost any multivitamin but it is water soluable so going up with an additional folic acid supplement won't hurt her. What is your doctors suggestion?
But do insist on the Bl2 test...preferably the MMA test which is a urine test and more reliable even if doctors pooh pooh it.
www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/folic_acid_deficiency_anemia.jsp
Here's some info on the Bl2 MMA test
www.b12.com/
Hope you find a solution..my best to your mom. Its a tough surgery at any age................Pat

15 years 6 months ago #21898 by kecwn
Back and chest pain was created by kecwn
Hello,
My mother had r/c in Jan. 2007 at the age of 78. It has been a slow recovery with weight loss and fatigue being a constant battle. We have been able to put some weight on her (she does love ice cream) and have just found the cause of the fatigue (folic acid deficiant anemia). Since April 2008 she has had chest pain. She has been to the doctor on several occasions and all has been clear. It has now since moved to both sides of her chest and her lower back. I am wondering if this is normal with this type of surgery. If anyone has had similar problems any help or information would be appriciated.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne