Staging and Grading

Post-cystectomy needs?

18 years 2 months ago #237 by slramsey
Replied by slramsey on topic Post-cystectomy needs?
Hello,
Sorry to hear about your father. I had a radical cystectomy and I would suggest that he will need someone with him for several weeks after his surgery.
Sylvia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #222 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Post-cystectomy needs?

Hi,
Sorry about your father's diagnosis, but lots of people his age and older get through the surgery ok. It's great if a person can have an advocate around during the hospital stay but if not...I suppose he'll be needing some help after he gets home. It depends on how fast he heals, if there are complications or not, what kind of urinary diversion is made. The surgery will knock the wind out of somebody for the first month but it is surmountable.

Have a look at our collection of tips from those who have been there, the Hospital Survival Guide: blcwebcafe.org/hospitalsurvivalguide.asp " and the "Post-Hospital Survival Guide"
blcwebcafe.org/posthospitalsurvivalguide.asp for those receiving a continent diversion (internal pouch/reservoir), and post op tips: blcwebcafe.org/postoptips.asp

Good luck learning the territory.
Wendy

18 years 2 months ago #216 by floshoe
Post-cystectomy needs? was created by floshoe
Hi, I'm new to this board. My dad was just diagnosed with bladder cancer 2 weeks ago. It has invaded the muscle wall, and he is having his bladder and prostate removed at the end of this month. He is 74 years old.

My siblings and I all live relatively far away, and are trying to anticipate his post-surgery needs. Specifically, will he need us more in the 7 or 8 days he is in the hospital, or in the weeks after he returns home? I don't have a clear idea of what he will be feeling like physically in his first few weeks at home. Do any of you have any input or advice on this topic? Thank you very much.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne