Abcess in stoma- ouch!

15 years 6 months ago #21231 by kathyk
Replied by kathyk on topic Abcess in stoma- ouch!
I just saw that you just got home from your RC. Boy, are you a trouper! I had my RC with an Indiana pouch 6 months ago and have had just about every complication, so if you have any problems, please let me know. I'm so proud of you - up and at the computer already! I'll bet you are really happy to be home. Take good care of yourself - actually have someone else take good care of you, and rest. Even though I've had complications, I think the surgery and hospital stay were the worst, so I'm glad that is behind you now. Thanks again for your reply. Kathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #21230 by kathyk
Replied by kathyk on topic Abcess in stoma- ouch!
Hi Balihigh. Thanks for the reply. Yesterday it came to the surface and looked like a big boil - the skin was semi transparent. It started draining a lot. I just got up to catheter and can' get one in. I tried different sizes and firmness and can only go in about inch, maybe less then hit a hard spot. I'm going to try some moist heat. I really don't want to have to go to the ER.

I had a CT scan Fri. afternoon because at that time he was not sure it was an abcess, but wont' get the results until a Radiologist reads it. I have an appt. Monday, but if I can't cath, I can't wait. Thanks, Kathy

15 years 6 months ago #21229 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic Abcess in stoma- ouch!
I am surprised that no one has replied to your post. I am only 9 days out of RC so I am not strong but do have an idea for you. Did a doctor tell you that you had an abcess? I have a very close friend that has colon bag. See my mind is not yet functioning as I cannot think of the word for it but she has had a couple of hernias. I am wondering if that might be your problem. She had to have surgery to repair them. Her conditon was almost exactly what you are describing. She is fine now. Hernias result when we do things we shouldn't be doing with stomas like heavy lifting. This could be a wake up call for all of us that have them and to be more vigilant on our activites.
Nancy

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

15 years 6 months ago #21214 by kathyk
Abcess in stoma- ouch! was created by kathyk
Hi. Has anyone had an abcess in their stoma? All of a sudden I had a big, hard, sore red lump next to my stoma opening. I had two powerful shots (of an antibiotic usually given by IV) diluted with lidocaine (to lessen the pain) in both "cheeks" yesterday. I went back to the Dr. today and had two more. I had a CT scan at the office and have another appointment Monday. I was told to go to the ER if I have any problems over the weekend. I'm assuming that it's serious even though I feel well, and forgot to ask what the potential problems or complications are. Duh! I'm guessing the trigger symptoms to look for would be fever or pain. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks! Kathy

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne