Hair exchange

15 years 6 months ago #21174 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Hair exchange
Hi All, I think the hair swap idea is great, but as you said Cynthia it needs some serious thought as to how it would work. You really made me smile when you said about not getting rid of things. I tore a ligament in my ankle 4 years ago and had to buy crutches. I·ve lent them out to injured or operated friends 4 times since but always ask that they let me have them back a) in case anyone else needs them and b) I just have this stupid feeling that the day after i get rid of them completely I will trip, fall, slip, or fall of my horse and need them right back LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #21166 by SandyMc
Replied by SandyMc on topic Hair exchange
I actually received my first wig from our local chapter of the American Cancer Society. They have an amazing supply of scarves, hats and wigs that are available to any cancer patient. They are all cleaned and sorted by color, length, etc. I was quite amazed and have already determined that I will donate all my items to them (after thorough cleaning, of course!)

15 years 6 months ago #21159 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Hair exchange
It is an idea we can work on and see what we can come up with.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 6 months ago #21156 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Hair exchange
I like the sisterhood of the traveling wig idea, but already have another sister sending me a wig. Pat has one in the mail as we speak. I know there are problems associated with an exchange system. Pat offered to be home base and keep a data base. if it is not feasable it's not and I understand. I was just thinking of all the others that will come after me.

Webs

15 years 6 months ago #21152 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Hair exchange
I have been following this thread and thinking about how best we as a community can handle this issue. There can be problems when you set up and exchange program on a support site. There was a lady that has passed that used to take used wigs and have them cleaned and then would send them out to people that needed them. She was always worried about head lice and such and knew how to handle the proper cleaning of them. Other sites have had trouble with people exchanging used medical items as they would sometimes be already open or past their expiration date. Also there is the issue of some things only being available by prescription being transferred to another person. They also have had problems of people expecting money for things or who handles the postage.

Having said all of this I am very aware that not everyone can afford everything we need while going through treatment. As for wigs make a call to your insurance company it is not a widely known fact and they do not tell you but a lot of them will reimburse you if you have a doctor’s prescription for one and send them that with the receipt for the wig.

I have the wig that I used during chemo tucked in my closet. I have a few times almost given it away and feel guilty that I can’t part with it. I have came to the conclusion that the fact is that we all know that as soon as you clean out the attic and get rid of something you have not used in years you will immediately need it. It is a medium red and short made of synthetic fiber and very easy to care for. I will offer to do this how about if we set up the Sister Hood of the Traveling Wig? This is how it would work I would send it out to you Webs and you could use it then send it back when you were done and it could wait until it was needed again?

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 6 months ago #21136 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Hair exchange
Joe,
I know that there are other places out there to get free wigs. I also know of a few places to buy a wig. Just out of curiosity did you peruse the price of wigs on headcovers.com? They are between $120-$300 for a wig. Last time I looked the price of shipping was lower than that. Granted some people might want to buy their own but for those of us that are on a budget due to high medical costs might appreciate a hair exchange. I know that when I am done with mine I would willingly clean and ship them to the next women who needed it.

Webs

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne