itchy red skin area under bag

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20501 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic itchy red skin area under bag
It could be a yeast infection and then again it could be cellulitis. If you put two fingers on the rash and it feels warm then it is cellulitis. My wife is a nurse and she called the Univ of Penn and they were real nice said if can get Joe here within 45 min we will squeezed him in. We got there and it turned out I had cellulitis and they gave me Keflex. Said they try that first before they would use the top gun antibiotics. One thing I have learned now is if something does not look right I call the Dr. and see what he wants to do. No need making a problem worst by guessing or ignoring it. I had just got home from the seeing my Ortho Dr. and 10 mins later I'm on my way to Penn not what I had in mind for the day but I feel better because I know what is going now and it is being treated. Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #20287 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic itchy red skin area under bag
You might have a yeast infection if it is itchy. You can call your doctor and ask for some Nystatin powder to sprinkle on it and it usually clears it up. If it is a bad infection, your doctor might prescribe Diflucan which takes care of the problem pretty quickly.

This has happened to my Dad a couple of times and it is no fun, for sure.

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20285 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic itchy red skin area under bag
Sydelle,

I have never had a rash, but you have to use the adhesive remover prep and clean the area around the stoma with it, then wash the area good with ivory soap ( you can't use soap with any oil or moisturizer in it), rinse real good with with clean water and dry area. Then use the stoma adhesive powder and wipe area around the stoma with skin prep this seal the pours of the skin when you are changing the bag this should prevent this from happening.

Gene

15 years 8 months ago #20283 by sydelle
itchy red skin area under bag was created by sydelle
What is the best way to approach the issue of itchy red skin around barrier for the ostomy bag?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne