Should I be worrying...

15 years 8 months ago #19339 by Kat9854
Replied by Kat9854 on topic Should I be worrying...
Thank you Leigh,
He was awake when I went to go see him this morning. The nurse explained to me the same way you did. The doctor was being cautious based on his health. He seemed to be doing fine.

Thanks again for your message and for reassuring me that this is normal procedure. I will be sure to keep you updated on his progress over the next few weeks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #19323 by PeterK
Replied by PeterK on topic Should I be worrying...
Don't be concerned, sounds normal, as least what happened to me. After my R/C, I had a breathing tube in for a couple of days because they were concerned I could upchuck something and choke. I guess they thought the ice chips they gave me could cause a problem. I am 68 and was a 50 year smoker. The doctors kept me heavily sedated for a couple of days. Tell your Dad that's it's tough to get up and walk, but we all had to go through it and it gets easier every day. Tell your Dad to hang in there.

Good luck,

Peter Konomos

15 years 8 months ago #19317 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Should I be worrying...
Dear Kat,

It is totally normal to have a breathing tube in after a radical cystectomy...as you know it is a long operation. The operation is longer than the op to get a new heart so you can imagine the strain that has on a body.

I am 38 and had the breathing tube for a few hours after surgery, older people need far longer to recover sometimes. It is only a precaution and your dad's surgeon is being cautious because of his present health and smoking history. My guess is that it will allow your Dad to recover far speedier the way in which they are treating him post op.

The drugs given for pain relief are powerful drugs and he will be going in and out of sleep for a few days.

Kat please do not read anything into the breathing tube or sedation if a problem occured they would have informed you guys already, they will not hold important information.

I hope you have a good visit....please do update us on his progress...

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 8 months ago #19313 by Kat9854
Replied by Kat9854 on topic Should I be worrying...
My father had the ileal conduit diversion and he is 67 years old.

I spoke with the recovery room nurse last night and she said they keep him sedated over night and he should be awake this morning. I am going to go back to see him this morning. I just didn't know if it was normal to have the breathing tube in and be sedated overnight til the next day.

Thank you all for your replies and support.

Kat

15 years 8 months ago #19293 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Should I be worrying...
This is the same for my husband, its not unusual at all, he still had the breathing tube in when I saw him in his room, not to worry!!! Take a deep breath and just keep a close eye on him,,in a few days he'll be somewhat normal again, just weak and wanting to go home...take care Ginger Beane

15 years 8 months ago #19285 by grampadonut
Replied by grampadonut on topic Should I be worrying...
good luck with dad
could you please tell me which devision he decided on also age
i ask since i'm having my bladder'prostate remove 8/1
thank you ..i know the stress your under

grampadonut
dx t2-g3
05/07/08

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne