RC Question

15 years 8 months ago #19204 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic RC Question
All I can say is I lost about 20 lbs after my RC and with all the sweets I love I gained back 35 lbs a few more then I wanted lol so it didn't seem to affect the food being absorbed for me. Actually now I would like to lose about 15 lbs, guess all our metabolisms are different. Joe ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #19202 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic RC Question
Vit B12 is absorbed from the lower part of the small bowel. A good consultant will therefore not use this section. They only use about 36inches anyway. The small bowel is about 26feet in length so there should not be too much loss of overall absorption.
Hope this is clear.
Betsy Mae

15 years 8 months ago #19194 by timb
Replied by timb on topic RC Question
Indeed. also in some ops the part of the bowel responsible for B12 absorption can be affected (somebody correct me here if im wrong please) so you have to keep an eye on symptoms of B12 deficiency. In addition, the bowel that the neobladder is constructed from is designed to absorb and therefore, some items can be reabsorbed back into the body via urine. that said, nearly two years in and i haven't noticed too much part from being a bit looser than i used to be at times. you can control this to an extent with diet (acidophilus etc). there are psoting on these issues on the site

t

15 years 8 months ago #19187 by SailorMan
RC Question was created by SailorMan
Perhaps a little off the wall here but I am wondering if the loss of some intestine (to the diversion) will result in less food being absorbed? The intestine IS where the nutrients (and calories) are absorbed by the body so with less physical intestine, I would think that less of them would be taken in by the body.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne