Odor from night time collection system

15 years 9 months ago #18828 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic Odor from night time collection system
I use a product called "Whoo-noz" Ostomy Deoderant Tablets (really that is the name). I order from the same place I order my supplies. It comes in a jar with 250 tablets. I place one in the bag each night. There is no smell during the night or in the morning (usually, there is a strong urine odor in my regular bag during the day).

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #18827 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Odor from night time collection system
Jeff, no problem, glad to help you out, I am still feeling the wound vac thing is unfortuneate, but you seem to be handling it well and moving on..I hope you continue to be positive and get things checked out if you have any questions....Ginger and Gene

15 years 9 months ago #18816 by Jeff F
Replied by Jeff F on topic Odor from night time collection system
I just use the foley bag for night time collection. It is totally sealed with no reflux or odor involved. I flush the line every couple of days and replace the bag every other week. I have it in a bucket tucked beneath my night stand. I use a small towel when "hooking up and unhooking", which prevents drips and spillage from the line refluxing during the change. It takes awhile to get everything together, but eventually, you learn best how to control things.

Thanks for the help in getting back in the forum, gene and ginger. My wounds are still healing...it is very slow going and I might look forward to a another couple of months of the wound vac.

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008

15 years 9 months ago #18704 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Odor from night time collection system
Well that could be a mis-nomer to drink more...look what happened to Julieanns mom from drinking too much water. If his doctor said he was overhydrating he probably found a low blood sodium level called hyponatremia which can be extremely dangerous and even fatal. I'd take the lead from the doctor in this case.
Urine that sits anywhere overnight does some pretty strange things...it might not be anything...but i would check it out and at least make sure he doesn't have an infection. Simple test.
Pat

15 years 9 months ago #18696 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Odor from night time collection system
Thats a great idea, stoma nurses are worth their weight in gold,,, I bet its the drinking thing, not enough water....best to check it out,,Ginger

15 years 9 months ago #18682 by jc10fc
Replied by jc10fc on topic Odor from night time collection system
Thanks for the site. At the last office visit the doctor said hubby was overhydrating. I never thought to mention to odor to the doctor. I shall call the ostomy nurses and discuss.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne