Odor from night time collection system

15 years 8 months ago #18677 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Odor from night time collection system
Maybe have the urine checked for a possible UTI?
Found a great tip sheet for those with an ileal conduit while researching this though
www.ostomy.evansville.net/hints.htm
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #18674 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Odor from night time collection system
You have a jug??? My husband has the outside bag as well, the only reason it has an odor is your not drinking enough water..My husband doesn't hook up to the nite bag at all anymore, he just gets up and empties 2 times in the nite. This way he can sleep on either side, and the bag doesn't explode..!!!!You don't really have a jug ,, do you??? Ginger

15 years 8 months ago #18671 by Jmema
Replied by Jmema on topic Odor from night time collection system
I think, to begin with the urine should not have a strong odor so maybe you should have more fluids. I also think there would be less odor with the nighttime drainage bag as they are sealed and you throw them away after a week or so depending on how many your insurer allows. All drainage systems should be rinsed with vinegar daily which takes away any residual odor.
Jean

15 years 8 months ago #18664 by jc10fc
Patient has an ileal conduit as of Nov. 2007. We use the Convatec night time collection jug. There is a little hole in the lid to let hot air escape as it builds up. Unfortunately, when this happens, the air has a strong, unpleasant urine odor. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne