New member stomal scar tissue & squirting

15 years 9 months ago #18055 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic New member stomal scar tissue & squirting
With my stoma my surgeon put in what is a valve that helps stop the leaking I don't know the name of it is but it works. But my question is if you had scar tissue ok things happen but now you say it is forming again. This is the first I've heard of scar tissue forming and this squirting thing. Besides the surgeon has the stoma nurse had any imput with this situation. Good Luck, Joe ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #18054 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New member stomal scar tissue & squirting
Kathy if you ask l0 people what irritates their new bladder you'll get l0 different answers....you'll figure it out eventually....some have a problem with citrus..i didn't....some with dairy...yep i've got that but so what..i eat it anyway. You'll notice a pattern with certain foods ...OR not! are you irrigating with the sterile saline solution? I had to put in 30cc's almost every cath at first...that stopped once my new bladder figured out it was a bladder and not a colon....mine had a definate personality disorder...a bi-polar Indiana Pouch...but we've come to an understanding!!....patience....
Hope your surgeon knows the procedure to open up that stoma....its a problem with quite a few. Pat

15 years 9 months ago #18052 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic New member stomal scar tissue & squirting
Kathy,

Yes, patience is key! I was never very patient but over the last year of fighting BC, and some medical people and some insurance people, etc...I have learned patience. It isn't easy to acquire it for some of us, but it is obtainable...just keep working on that virtue...it will make life easier for you.

Yes...dairy products often contributes to mucus for many of us....and I LOVE cheese, and yogurt and milk shakes, etc...even pizza often causes me an overload of mucus, so I have cut way back on my dairy. I've also found that salad dressings, mayo, and some soups do the same thing to me. But heck, I have to have some dairy in my diet, so usually I will save those type of foods for my evening meal as I usually will irrigate just prior to bed and when I first get up in the morning. If I have eaten dairy in the morning or for lunch, I will usually drink a bottle of cranberry or crangrape juice...or have some green tea to help break up the mucus; otherwise I have to spend more time in the restroom trying to get a good flow going.

I found my first three months after RC very frustrating for me...trying to get the leaking under control, the mucus under control and determining what type of clothing best suited my new life style...when I got to the fourth month, things began to improve at a much faster pace...maybe the system had finally adjusted...and at month seven, I felt normal enough to return to work.

Wishing you the best...just remember this healing business takes time and cannot be rushed...no matter how slight the improvement might seem, every day healing is taking place...take a deep breath and accept that, for now, it is what it is, but things will get better. Hugs to you. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

15 years 9 months ago #18051 by kathyk
Patricia and Melodie,

Thank you so much for your information and support. I'll pass the stoma info on to my Dr. I have been taking Hyoscyamine daily for over a month and it has helped a little but not much. My Dr. gave me a new RX for sub-lingual Hyoscyamine, which was recommended by another Uro. The manufacturer has it on back order but I found some on the internet. You mentioned dairy - I eat/drink alot of cheese and milk. Do they irritate the new bladder? Are there other foods I should avoid?
The dessings are something I would be interested in the future but I would probably go through too many right now for it to be affordable. Patience is not one of my virtues so this would probably be a good time to start working on developing it.
Kathy

15 years 9 months ago #17966 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic New member stomal scar tissue & squirting
Kathyk,

I had my RC last July...I was having a lot of leaking. I learned that for me, if I let the mucus build up on the stoma, I would leak so I made it a point to change the dressing as often as I could. My doctor also put me on "Levsinex"0.375 CRCAP, twice a day, to help calm the bladder. Now, almost a year later, the mucus is less and I have cut back to only one tablet of Levsinex daily. The doctor told me to stay on it for the first year. This med is also alled Hyoscyamine. I also use a stoma dressing that is made in Finland which has the same properties as baby diapers which keeps the stoma dry...Pat can give you the link if you want to try them...they are pricey but worth it to me...box of 20 costs something like $13.00. Theese days I don't often experience any leaking, unless I eat too much dairy.
Hope this helps. You'll be in my thoughts & prayers. Melodie, near Seattle

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

15 years 9 months ago #17928 by Patricia

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne