seeking answers

15 years 10 months ago #17220 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic seeking answers
Hi Anne Marie - Harry did need two units of blood while he was in the hospital, after his surgery because his counts were down. He was also very tired and run down at that point if I remember correctly. I asked the nurse if it was unusual to need blood after the surgery and she said not really. I didn't question it further and he improved after receiving it. Another thing that happened to him that seemed to concern the nurses more was a drop in blood pressure on two ocassions and they gave him extra IV fluids to help, which it did... Hope the transfusion will help with his energy level and that he continues to improve. Margot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17219 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic seeking answers
There are so many things that cause anemia and most of them unrelated to Bladder Cancer. This drop should be investigated. Is he having internal bleeding? Ask the hospital to bring in a Hematologist and a gastroenterologist.

My husband was severely anemic in 2005 and it took 7 months to identify all the causes. There were at least 3. He had internal bleeding from his stomach and duodenum, he has renal insufficiency from diabetes and he has MDS which has kept him anemic. He also needs B-12 shots to prevent pernicious anemia. None of these reasons was related to Bladder Cancer at all.

You will need to advocate for him as he probably does not have the strength to demand that they take care of him appropriately. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 10 months ago #17201 by cariad
Replied by cariad on topic seeking answers
Hi again friends!

It is me with my latest question.

John appears to be picking up a little, he is back on iv fluids, antibiotics and o2, but he has had a drop in haemogloblin from 9.6 to 7.2 from Sunday to today (Tuesday) They were transfusing him again tonight when I visited.

Has anyone else had problems with anaemia?. He certainly did pre op, but I thought it would resolve . This worries me.

Anne Marie

partner of John
Diagnosed april 08
r/c may 08
T4aG3
Trying to take things one day at a time!

15 years 10 months ago #17171 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic seeking answers
HI Anne Marie - Harry's surgery experience was very similar to Leigh's. With a very swollen belly...and an extra drain...he lost 15 pounds, I was actually surprised it hadn't been more considering the amount of time he was without any food, just ice chips and the nutrition IV bags. He was in the hospital a total of 28 days...on the positive side, he was able to come home without the cathether and was healed considerably from the RC...still, it took him several weeks to get his strength back...then he started chemo, which knocked him down again...but he completed the treatments in mid Feb. and he is doing very well now. There is hope. Congratulations on your wedding plans. Prayers for you and John. Margot and Hrry

15 years 10 months ago #17162 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic seeking answers
Dear Anne Marie,

I am sorry to hear that your partner has had delays in recovery from the RC.

It reminds me of my recovery which was very similar due to ileus, I did have a NG tube which cleared my stomach of the green stuff two to three times a day like clock work the green stuff started pumping out. I got used to it but any visiting family viewing this when it happened had suprised looks on there faces.

I had a CT scan to check for any problems as my belly became very swollen as it looked like I was pregnant. A build up of fluid was found in my pelvic area and an extra drain was inserted which was a great relief to me as several litres of fluid drained away which relieved the pressure on my belly also.

I also had a PIC line put in my neck during the RC surgery which was utilized to feed me intravenously with those bags of milky stuff.

For me it was 14 days after surgery when I could finally try food which was a cup of yogurt and custard mixed. The next day I was allowed a bowl of broth and a chicken sandwich which I dipped into the broth as the bread I just could not swollow.

I lost 14 kilos in weight during this time and gradually became more and more active during the following days because of the food nurishing me giving me more energy. Sucking on ice cubes for two weeks did not offer much in the way of energy.

It was a long road to recovery and on the 21st day after RC I was able to go home. I never expected to stay so long and had in my head that I would be ten days max because of the full open incision. Of course that was if there were no hickups along the way.

Hold on in there....for some of us it takes longer to recover because of these hickups. Once home your partner will come on leaps and bounds I just know it....

What a great motivation also....the WEDDING!!

I wish you and your partner all the very best and for a positive outcome with the pathology report.

Kind thoughts and wishes...
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 10 months ago #17149 by cariad
Replied by cariad on topic seeking answers
Hi Patricia

He is having some bowel movements, but having spina bifida, he really does not have any control over it.

He has 2 areas of gaping wound, which are sloughy, but the underlying muscle seems to be holding ( I am a community nurse and have seen many worse wounds) but I know its going to need packing for some time.

He really is having a hard time, but we are going to get through this, he has our wedding to look forward to!!!!. No date arranged, but we are working on it.

Anne Marie

partner of John
Diagnosed april 08
r/c may 08
T4aG3
Trying to take things one day at a time!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne