Urethra Removal

15 years 11 months ago #16693 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Urethra Removal
Sheesh, I'm sorry to hear a big tumor was found, and I wish you and your family well in the coming time. Glad your father is healing so quickly after what must have been a no-fun surgery, no fun at all.

Take care of yourself,
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #16535 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic Urethra Removal
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've come to learn this is a battle that is fought one day at a time. Dad walked today and said it was a heck of a lot more comfortable to walk than to sit or get in and out of bed! The thirty or so mile trip home in the car tomorrow probably won't be that swell for him, but I know he will be glad to get out of the hospital.

Now on to the business of healing and getting stronger for whatever lies ahead.

15 years 11 months ago #16533 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Urethra Removal
Harleygirl,
Sounds like dad is doing okay, and your so good to be with him, I always say we end up giving back for what they gave us. they are so deserving !! Ginger

15 years 11 months ago #16525 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic Urethra Removal
Harley sorry to hear about your Dad and I hope the Path Report comes back in you favor as it sounds your Dad has been through enough. I had that MRSA and spent 10 days in the hospital and when I got home I had Penns Infusion team and I spent 38 day getting Vancomycin through an IV they set up for me at my house 2x a day for about a week and then they cut it back to once a day. Thank God my wife is a nurse as she did the IV's for me and the nurse came every week to do my lab work. I had an abyss on my left kidney from this but fortunately the Vancomycin got rid of that abyss. Wish You the Best, Joe ;)

15 years 11 months ago #16523 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Urethra Removal
So glad Dad got through the procedure...so sorry he had to go through the procedure...my gosh he had been bleeding almost since the initial surgery..
You're a great daughter.......hope recovery is uneventful........Pat

15 years 11 months ago #16517 by harleygirl
Urethra Removal was created by harleygirl
My 81-year-old Dad just had his urethra removed yesterday and they found a huge tumor (which the doctor said was the largest he's ever resected.) Dad made it through the surgery fine and will spend 2 days in the hospital since he also has a MRSA that they are treating with Vancomycin and one other antibiotic. The doc is not sure if he was able to get it all even though he went WAY outside the boundaries of the tumor. He described it like an iceberg with more underneath than above.

The doc told Dad to just concentrate for the next two weeks on healing and they would discuss options based on the path report at the end of those two "healing" weeks. Dad is, of course, swollen and bruised in the surgical area and has to keep ice packs on the area all the time. The doctor did let him have solid food today and will most likely have him walking this afternoon (something he's definitely not looking forward to!) He should be going home tomorrow with a prescription for Bactrim for the MRSA.

All this after his margins for the urethra were clear at the time of cystectomy. Guess you really never know with this beast of a disease.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne