Troubling Post-RC Urine Cystology Report

15 years 11 months ago #16692 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Troubling Post-RC Urine Cystology Report
Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear about the worrisome cytology. Why not ask for another type of urine test, such as the FISH test? There are quite a number of other urine marker tests these days that can be used along with cytology. Sometimes urine marker tests are confounded post-RC but a good pathologist should know how to read it correctly-experience is key, so I hope the report is from MDAnderson or some other great lab.

All the best,
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #16538 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Troubling Post-RC Urine Cystology Report
Wow..thats a bit difficult to decipher...Neutrophils are the most common type of white blood cell, comprising about 50-70% of all white blood cells. They are phagocytic, meaning that they can ingest other cells, though they do not survive the act. Neutrophils are the first immune cells to arrive at a site of infection, through a process known as chemotaxis.
Don't know what to make of that screening but i'm glad you're having the IVP just to try and eliminate the source of whats signaling your body to send the neutrophils.
Hope someone else maybe has had this and will chime in.
Pat

15 years 11 months ago #16504 by rick.bozarth
Troubling Post-RC Urine Cystology Report was created by rick.bozarth
Good morning. I have been a observer of the forum for quite some time, this is my first post. I am a 57year old male, 1 ½ years out from RC with a neobladder done at MD Anderson after being diagnosed with T2b Stage II Transitional Cell Carcinoma. Had chemo before surgery. At a recent checkup had a Urine Cystology test and results were disturbing - “Atypical single cells with an increased nuclear cytoplasmic ratio and hyperchromatic nucleus are seen in background of numerous cells (neutrophils), some necrotic cellular debris, hemosiderin laden macrophage and occasional RBCs. No Papillary groups are present.” The comment said that the ‘presence of atypical cells in a background of necrotic cellular debris and acute inflamation are not specific, however, a malignancy cannot be ruled out.’
This was surprising as I have had no problems with the bladder, kidneys or checkups since surgery. Has anyone had this kind of report in the past? I have an IVP scheduled with my urologist but it is 3 weeks out and I am trying to get better educated in the meantime.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rick

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne