my dads rc

15 years 10 months ago #16731 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic my dads rc
Right before I left the hospital after my RC, the hospital's dietitian came in to discuss this very topic with us. It might be wise to ask to speak with her before your father is sent home, just to be on the safe side.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #16730 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic my dads rc
Let him eat anything you can get him to eat! My Dad had very little appetite and it was a struggle to get him to eat anything. So, if your Dad will eat, feed him whatever he wants is my suggestion.

Glad he is getting out! Hope he heals quickly.

15 years 10 months ago #16729 by wmck
Replied by wmck on topic my dads rc
They started my Dad on liquids this morning-if all goes well they want to release him tomorrow! (he finally had a bm last night). We were wondering what foods would be the best to start him on at home-I am thinking from what I have read on the forum soft foods and no meat at first-any specific suggestions about what worked best for you?
Thanks
Chris

15 years 10 months ago #16717 by wmck
Replied by wmck on topic my dads rc
Thank you all for your comments. He seems to be past the nausea stage now but still waiting for the all important gas. He is getting impatient. He did walk 3 times today and considering his age and weakness-i thought it was pretty good.
harleygirl-thanks for your pm. I will keep an eye on him. Hope your Dad has smooth sailing from now on. Sorry to hear he had to go through all that.
Chris

15 years 10 months ago #16704 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic my dads rc
My husband Harry had his RC in 10/07. Surgery went very well, but he also experienced problems passing gas. The first couple (few?) days he just kept burping...it wasn't passing through in the "right direction". Then he passed a little gas and they put him on soft then more solid soft food (chicken breast was actually considered "soft" ?!?)...for him this was too fast and he threw up and they had to start all over with the NG tube....and waiting for gas to pass again... They ruled out a blockage, but did insert another drain because they did find some excess fluid that they thought could be "holding up the works"...the doctors kept saying it just takes some people more time ... which was frustrating day after day - "more time" when he was doing all the "right things" like walking several times a day...they finally inserted a PICC line for nutritution as all he could "eat" were ice chips....FINALLY...he passed some gas and they fed him soft food a couple days before introducing the chicken breast! Even then gettng the bowels to work like they did pre-op took quite a long time and trial and error with stool softners, fiber, etc. I teased Harry that his body was mad at him and giving him a bad time because he was 61 and had never had any surgeries and didn't even take any prescription medications prior to his BC diagnosis! He ended up being in the hospital a total of 28 days, however, the upside of that was that when he was finally released, he was much more farther along in his RC recovery and came home without the catheter and all drains removed. HOPEFULLY, your dad won't wait that long before passing the "all important" gas! I guess "time" is an individual thing...and everyone is different. Best wishes for your dads speedy recovery. Margot

15 years 10 months ago #16690 by Dan366
Replied by Dan366 on topic my dads rc
I also had bad nausea, and only the phenegran worked, and it worked well.
Good luck,
Dan

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne