question....epidural for postop pain management

17 years 5 months ago #1658 by Angela
I had an epidural for my pain management and it worked great. My only complaint is that it gave me bad headaches - also called spinal headaches. The epidural was removed at 5 or 6 days post op and then my pain was managed with a morphine drip. The drip worked fine for me too, and I actually appreciated the drowsiness as it helped me sleep and relax more than I may have without it.

I was amazed that I didn't have the surgical pain I expected, and found I didn't hit my morphine button nearly as often as I anticipated I would have. Here's hoping your pain is kept at a minimum regardless of the management option you choose!

Regards, Angela

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #1649 by timb
ive got my surgery tomorrow.i may go for the morphine drip as i like the element of control. but the reasons you give for the epidural make good sense. my docs say both work though.

17 years 5 months ago #1643 by clur
Hi
Its cool and really works..You dont feel spaced out as the meds only go to the sight that they are needed .You will be fine they wont let you have pain .I will be thinking of you take care.Lots of love Claire x

17 years 5 months ago #1638 by Jmema
I went for my last preadmission meeting yesterday for the last of the blood work, ekg and a meeting with the anesthetist. He said they would be using general anesthesia and would be using an epidural for pain management after the surgery. He said they have found it has less side effects than the morphine drip and helps your bowels wake up sooner. I read a couple of posts from back in September but wondered if anyone else had experience with the epidural and if so, how it all went. I did ask "what if the epidural doesn't work" as I know someone who had it and it didn't work and they assured me they would control my pain by other means.
Thanks for any input.
Jmema

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne