Neo bladder repair work....

16 years 5 days ago #14751 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Neo bladder repair work....
Hello Susan,

Thank you so much :)

Also from my cats, Aarie,Aqua,BiBi,Maddy and Jasra ;D

Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 days ago #14750 by Leigh
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your message.

After my RC when all catheters had been removed it took me a few days to gain continence control. The first few days I used nappies because any sudden movement emptied my bladder and I had little control on stopping the flow.

Luckily my pelvic floor excercises kicked into action pretty quickly and I was able to start and stop the flow as desired. These are also called Kegal exercises and I guess you have been advised or will be advised about these. Everyone has a different experience and sometimes you can have instant control and for some it takes longer.

As the weeks and months move along incontinence issues improve and within two months I had near 100% daytime continence except for the occasional coughing or sneezing fit. I wear a protection shield in my underwear for security although it really is not necessary for day time but make’s me feel secure.

For me night time continence depends on fluid intake before bedtime and using an alarm to wake a couple of times during the night to urinate. Very quickly I regained an instinct to wake when I had fullness in my lower abdomen and often woke before the alarm.

Presently I am having adjuvant chemo and all this has gone out of the window temporarily because sometimes I am too tired to wake and have more leaks during the night.

I have two types of shields to wear in my underwear one for day and one for night, the latter has more absorbency for increased urine leakage.

For many it is possible to have dry nights also and each and every one of us has a unique experience in the continence training process. You will eventually find your own routine that works for you and your personal situation.

Please try not to get disheartened if it takes a while to control the flow, it is hit and miss in the beginning and patience is required.

I hope this gives a small insight from my experience and please feel free to ask any question you want.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007

16 years 5 days ago #14745 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Neo bladder repair work....
Happy Cosy Easter, Lee + cats -- I am happy that your neobladder mystery was
resolved and the situation not so serious and that you are able, again, to
refocus for more chemotherapy.

Warm thoughts from my cat and I to you and your cats -- Susan

16 years 6 days ago #14739 by Dan366
Replied by Dan366 on topic Neo bladder repair work....
Hi Leigh,

Congratulations!! It is wonderful to hear how greatly your situations was improved.

I noticed at the end of your last post that you thanked Warren for advice and mentioned that it's not a good idea to cross your legs.

I just had the surgery nine days ago, and my catheter comes out on April 2. Are there other things that you have learned which help control continence?

Thanks & best wishes,
Dan

16 years 6 days ago #14736 by Leigh
What a difference a day makes...

Yesterday I was pretty sore and unable to urinate very well and was very worried I would have to return to the hospital to get the catheter re-inserted.

I woke up this morning and had the best pee since my RC in September even though it is still tender I was able to empty my bladder in seconds rather than 10-15 minutes it usually takes.

I am so happy today and my spirit has been lifted and so grateful to my urologist for the work he did on me.

It is amazing what little things please....but I really have struggled these last seven months with urinating and so happy it is resolved.

Warren,

Many thanks for the advise....crossing one's legs when sitting is also a no no I have found...

Thanks everyone for your wonderful caring advise and support you are all very special people.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007

16 years 6 days ago #14729 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic Neo bladder repair work....
Leigh, So glad to hear that all went well. Prayers for continued recovery and comfort during your upcoming chemo week. Harry and Margot

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne