Melodie - Back for a Hospital visit

16 years 4 weeks ago #14658 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Melodie - Back for a Hospital visit
Melodie,
Glad its all resolved, you don't want the flu bug thats around, it seems to be a big problem, lots of people with it here in quarantine. All in all a scary little episode for you. Sorry you had to lay in the hall,,nothing like being on display, I hate that,,,take care of you, Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 weeks ago #14635 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Melodie - Back for a Hospital visit
Melodie...the green vomit is an indication of bile backing up into the stomach which means an obstruction whether it be mechanical or non-mechanical. Do not wait it out at home if you get it again...obstructions are dangerous either way and you certainly do not need dehydration. Hopefully this will be the only one you have.
Pat

16 years 4 weeks ago #14633 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Melodie - Back for a Hospital visit
Pat,

Thanks for the info....now I can be better educated on bowel obstructions and maybe avoid any more of them...maybe.

Rick,

Of course if I knew then what I know now, I would have remained at home longer, if I had thought the issue could have worked itself out on it's own...now I won't freak out until I get over the 12 hr. limit....but I had no sweating, just a mild temp of 100...I started with green vomit so I'm thinking it was an obstruction.

We can all share and learn from one another. I'm upping my intake of prune juice.

Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 1 month ago #14613 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic Melodie - Back for a Hospital visit
Melodie,
I am glad that you are back. How frustrating and concerning it was for you over that 24 hour ordeal.
There was a flu like bug that went around my office a couple of weeks ago. It was a good thing I heard about the symptoms from them before I actually got the bug myself.
I had a severe knot feeling in my intestines and a lower back throbbing. I ending up having a fever during two evenings that drenched my sheets (these were the same symptoms my co-workers had).
My urine output was nearly nothing during this time. It was a good thing I did know, because the Lovely and Talented One (my wife) was ready for me to hang out in the ER.
Welcome back.

Rick

16 years 1 month ago #14606 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Melodie - Back for a Hospital visit
Hi Melodie....here's something on ileus which is a non-mechanical obstruction which i believe you had..........www.upmc.com/HealthManagement/ManagingYourHealth/HealthReference/Diseases/?chunkiid=23625
Just my luck i had the mechanical kind!!! Pat

16 years 1 month ago #14604 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Melodie - Back for a Hospital visit
Hi All,

Made it back to work and so far, so good. Although my doctor could not say for sure, after review of the scan and all the vomiting, he felt more like it was the blockage that caused my problem vs. a flu virus. He told me the blockage can occur as a result of scar tissue...that sometimes something just gets trapped in there and the intestine kinda gets itself into a kink and things won't pass as they should. I have been very careful about what I eat, drink and do my best to keep fiber in the diet and because I am on Levsinex (Hyoscyamine)to keep the bladder calmed down, that tends to constipate me so I counteract that by taking in omega fatty acids (fish oil) capsules twice a day and prune juice.

When I got into the ER area where the patients wait, I waited on a bed in the hallway while nurses would stop and apologize for the fact that they had no room to put me in...this caused me to ask about how loaded they were with patients...when I learned it was 3-4 hrs. and I had already waited for 2, I asked the charge nurse if I could walk over to Urology and talk to the nurses over there...of course she was OK with that idea since they were swamped. At Urology the nurse tried to irrigate just as I had done and nothing resulted but the water coming back out. So that was when it was determined I needed a scan. I was glad I took the initative and felt well enough to go over to another department as I think I got results faster than I would have had otherwise, given the situation.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne