After surgery w/ my neo bladder

17 years 6 months ago #1392 by timb
Replied by timb on topic After surgery w/ my neo bladder
Hey
Its probably not related but i had appalling bowel problems which I attributed to morphine injections given to me after at least two surgeries several years ago. It took six weeks two get my normal bowel habits back. I know you guys are talking post bowel surgery but I suppose it also takes a while to get all the opiates and other toxins out of your system which can't help. My cystectomy is scheduled for 18th Oct. Im bracing myself for the bowel thing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 6 months ago #1391 by mikmckna
Replied by mikmckna on topic After surgery w/ my neo bladder
Mike,

This may get confusing as my name is Mike as well. I am 4 weeks post op and having similar stool issues. One week ago I was actually keeping things solid with only two movements a day but then I took on an infection of sorts. I could not eat and was back to the basic liquid diet for 3 days. This sent my bowels back to, as my wife says "Loose Tail" mode. I know what you mean about the pain after 2 or 3 but I am hopeful that this will pass. If you hear any news, please share through this topic.

Best Wishes,
Mike McKenna
Haymarket, VA (DC Metro)
RC w/ Neobladder 8/06

Believe in yourself,
Mike
T1-G3, CIS
RC w/ Neobladder 8/22/06

17 years 6 months ago #1389 by Mike_DeRose
Replied by Mike_DeRose on topic After surgery w/ my neo bladder
Thanks Lou,
This forum has been a Godsend. I will look into the wipes. I do have the Appt. with an upper GI on the 25th of Sept.
Thanks you
Sincerely,
Mike DeRose

17 years 6 months ago #1382 by rentanag
Replied by rentanag on topic After surgery w/ my neo bladder
Mike,

It's possible that your lactose intolerance is affecting your bowel movements, my daughter has lactose intolerance and has similar problems. The other issue you're having about cathing and not emptying your bladder, etc., I have a little experience I will share with you.  First of all I hadn't needed to cath until recently (I had RC and neobladder surgery 2/04), but let me tell you that you may still have a considerable amount of abdominal swelling from your surgery and this might be part of why you're not noticing that full feeling.  For perhaps the past one plus years I get a full feeling in my lower abdomen, more on one side than the other (my neobladder is mostly in the right side of my pelvis).  So you probably need to give yourself more time for your body to be back closer to normal for you, and try not to worry too much.
You mention that by the third or fourth  (I'm assuming you mean the loose ones) movement it gets quite painful, you might want to find a product I use for cleaning the rectal area.  Now don't laugh, because it's Playtex Personal Cleansing Cloths and they are wonderful.  The best part is they don't have any alcohol in them, and you can flush them after you use them.  You can get them at Wal Mart or any drug store and they'd be in the Ladies Personal Hygiene area, they come in a plastic container or you can get them in a resealable refill pack.  I get the resealable pack only, no need for the dispenser.  You could probably find them near the products that are used for people with incontinence, like pads and adult diapers, as well.
I hope some of this helps you in some way, and keep us up to date on how you're doing.

Lou Graham

17 years 6 months ago #1378 by Mike_DeRose
After surgery w/ my neo bladder was created by Mike_DeRose
It has been a while since my last posting. I had my surgery on July 6th 2006 and choose to have the neo bladder built. I have had two issues that have come up after the surgery. First I have had a terrible time with bowel movements. I have had very little solid movements since the surgery. I have tried a-modium , bananas (brat diet), yogurt, fiber suppliments. I have have one solid movement then for the next 2 or 3 hours I will hve several loose movements. I am going to see an upper GI on the 25th of Sept. who I hope can help. This is very painful about the third and fourth movement. I have also developed a lactose issue which I use lactaid to fix that issue.

Second about two weeks ago I have had trouble empting out my bladder fully. I cath in the morning and before I go to bed. I was told this is ok from the Doc. I am monitoring when I cath and it is about 300 to 400cc when I cath. He said that the entrance into the bladder may be narrowing. What I have noticed that when I am full I feel a pain in my lower back. I have not expirenced the full feeling that the doc saod I should feel when I need to urinate. Am I expecting to much at this time? The nice thing is that when I cath I have no leakage at night or any mishaps during the day. I do visit the bathroom at least once an hour just to make sure that I can urinate on my own.
Please let me know if anyone has experienced any of these issues.

Thanks
Sincerey,
Mike DeRose

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne