Choosing a Neo Bladder or external bag

17 years 6 months ago #1377 by mikmckna
Replied by mikmckna on topic Choosing a Neo Bladder or external bag
Steve,

Best of luck... I am 45 yr old and 5 weeks out from RC w/ Neobladder. Had my concerns and bad days along the way but already no issues during the day. My Dr. leaves superpubic tube in as safety measure and for learning to void. This week I start on leaving capped at night and get up to void. Like the one step at a time approach myself.

Believe in yourself,
Mike
T1-G3, CIS
RC w/ Neobladder 8/22/06

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 6 months ago #1349 by seabay51
Replied by seabay51 on topic Choosing a Neo Bladder or external bag
Thanks BobinNJ,
The amount of positive feedback I’m getting about the neo bladder has me a lot more convinced it really is the way to go. I haven’t really heard a lot of negative, back from people who have had the procedure. Almost every one agrees it can be a bit ruff in the beginning but in the long run their happy with their decision. The two surgeons doing the procedure are the best at the urology center so I’m ready to go for next Friday the 22nd.
Thanks for the reply.
Steve

17 years 6 months ago #1333 by BobinNJ
Replied by BobinNJ on topic Choosing a Neo Bladder or external bag
I had my RC in April, after 3 months of chemo. I had leaned toward the external bag because of fears about incontinence with neo-bladder, and because pre-chemo that appeared to be the only option. But the chemo shrunk tumor enough for a neo-bladder and the surgeon convinced me to go for it. I am so glad I did. I am 99% back to normal. I have full continence during day and only an occasional small leak at night- and even that is getting better.
Assuming it's medically advisable, and done by a surgical team that is very experienced, I definited recommend neo-bladder.

17 years 6 months ago #1280 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Choosing a Neo Bladder or external bag
Hi,

There is a post on this board that contains a lot of info,
blcwebcafe.org/cgi_bin/forum/nph-YaBB.pl?num=1140202296

There are pages on the website with info on the options under the 'cystectomy' section. The stories from contributors also have a lot of info from those who've been there. Read the Tales from the Trenches" blcwebcafe.org/stories.asp and the Storyboard on the forum.

Hopefully you'll receive input from the readers here as well.

All the best to you,
Wendy

17 years 6 months ago #1279 by KarenE
Replied by KarenE on topic Choosing a Neo Bladder or external bag
Hello,
My Dad had a neobladder "installed" on July 17th. My Dad is 72, very healthy and active before being diagnosed last October and going through 3 months of pre-surgery chemo. He handled the surgery extremely well, but has had some complications. I was going to post about them and see if any other neobladder recipient has had these complications - metabolic acidosis and constipation. Personally I know the neobladder was the best option for my Dad. He has to wear a bag while correcting the metabolic acidosis and doesn't like the bag. Being able to void the natural way is a positive mental thing. I won't go into the details of my Dad's condition due to the neobladder unless someone asks... not sure if people want to know the negative side of things.... or things that can be.... everyone is different.

Send me an e-mail or private message me. My heart goes out to you and I wish you the best in your decision and surgery.

KarenE
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

17 years 6 months ago #1274 by seabay51
Choosing a Neo Bladder or external bag was created by seabay51
Hello,
I have bladder cancer that is at the early stage. A tumor a third the size of my bladder has already been removed and am told the floor and the walls of the bladder are covered with cancer. The cancer has made it through two layers of the bladder wall and they want to remove the bladder before  it gets through the wall. They tell me they won't know if it has gone through until the operation and that they want to put in a neo bladder. I am so confussed at this time and scared. Can any one give me some sort of pros and cons on having a external bag or neo bladder.
Thanks seabay51

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne