Self catheterisation and flying (regulations)

16 years 2 months ago #12816 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic Self catheterisation and flying (regulations)
Tim,

I get the impression that I will be somewhat more insurable once I can say that I have not been an inpatient for the last 3 months. The worrying thing now is that I have a letter from the company I enquired to about insurance last week which says they will not insure me. I am concerned about this as one of the questions you are asked is have you ever been refused insurance due to your medical condition?" Of course, now I will have to answer "yes" to this! Seems like we can't win!
Where abouts are you in the UK? (If you don't mind me asking?)Interesting to see someone of a similar age with a neobladder!

Betsy Mae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #12813 by timb
Betsy Mae

yes, insurance is another handicap with this illness that Ive come across myself. I was refused insurance by several companies last time I travelled (prior to my cystectomy but suring BCG). In the end I didn't bother. I'm currently considering a trip to the states with my partner and am a bit nercous about going there with a neobladder and no insurance. the medical costs could be astronomical if something goes wrong.

tim

16 years 2 months ago #12811 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic Self catheterisation and flying (regulations)
Thanks for the prompt replies guys! I'm not actually planned a flight until August now as I've just found out that I'm 'uninsurable' at the present time!! We were hoping to get away over Easter but I'm not sure that will happen now. Would love to go back to The States but suspect insurance will be horrendous for the next couple of years!
Betsy Mae

16 years 2 months ago #12718 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Self catheterisation and flying (regulations)
Here's an article on that very subject:
tinyurl.com/35aqjk

This is a TSA page on flying with medications,

tinyurl.com/kv3uv

The bottom line, according to the TSA is "if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member. Declared liquid medications and other liquids for disabilities and medical conditions must be kept separate from all other property submitted for x-ray screening."

And:
Disability-related items permitted through the security checkpoint include:
# Augmentation devices
(A catheter is an augmentation device)
# Ostomy supplies

So just keep it separate and declare it when going through security. Believe me, these security people deal with many, many people in the same situation you're in. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 2 months ago #12714 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Self catheterisation and flying (regulations)
I aggre that it should fly with you. I would have the letter noterised, I would also call the TSA to make sertin you can get thru. I would put backups in the suitcase, just in case. I will be going to la in 11 days I will try to report waht happens to me. Although I only have to cath neo at nite one time a day that is what DR said to do with my neo. When is your flight? Don

Hanging in there!

16 years 2 months ago #12712 by Betsy Mae
Just a thought? Where do those of us stand who need to self catheterise when flying regarding the regulations about fluids in hand luggage? I use a mixture of prefilled catheters and those that need water to be added and am concerned about getting them onto the plane in hand luggage with the minimum of fuss. I ahve asked my consultant for a letter explaining that they are necessary medical items but am interested to find out if anyone else out there has any thought/experiences of the same issue. I ahve no intenetio of putting them in the hold as I have been parted from luggage before!
Regards,

Betsy Mae

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne