Back in the hospital AGAIN!

16 years 2 months ago #12338 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Back in the hospital AGAIN!
And hmmmmm back at ya, Patricia! That is VERY interesting. I'm going to call him right now and have him get the stats for the UI. The infectious disease guys were in again this afternoon, and are switching the antibiotics again, as soon as he's finished with this one, to make sure that they take care of any resistances.

He's also up for a scan, but they want his kidney's completely hydrated. They keep giving him IV's, and I don't know why they don't just let him drink a lot. He'd love that order.....he drinks water and tea and sparkling water all day long. I'll have to ask them that, too.

I told him to put that on his list.

He's getting ready for the next resident with questions! I think they just keep stopping by to see his stoma ::)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #12336 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Back in the hospital AGAIN!
hmmmm....research i've done on this type of organism brought up everything from contaminated syringes for the nephrostomy tube to an incidence in Chicago at a chemo center.......www.asco.org/portal/site/ASCO/menuitem.a3fb42726842a82627c4c291ee37a01d/?vgnextoid=d70b3608f9958010VgnVCM100000f2730ad1RCRD&index=n&pmid=16344422
Certainly worth looking into why it happened and if there have been any other cases where he is being treated. Pat

16 years 2 months ago #12331 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Back in the hospital AGAIN!
When they do the culture they also test the bacteria for what will work to eliminate it. It may be that b. cloaca is relatively easy to treat. I thought when people got chemo they almost always had a PICC line or a port. The PICC line has made it so much easier for all the blood draws my husband has to have.

If he has stopped running fevers than he will probably be better off at home.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 2 months ago #12330 by Stephany
Julie, this information was VERY important to me. I will ask him when I talk to him today about the cause of the infection. He doesn't appear to have MRSA, but b. cloaca, at least that's what they're telling us. I'll also suggest a PICC line, since it's getting harder to get the lines in for the chemo.

His tube has been repositioned once, but as far as I know, no one has inspected the site while he's been in the hospital. I'll ask about that, too.

He had vancomycin the first time he got a fever, until they decided that he needed something else. I'll also ask him today what he's getting.

It's foggy here, so we may just do all this by phone, especially if he's coming home tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to call him right now.

Stephany in IOwa

16 years 2 months ago #12324 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Back in the hospital AGAIN!
Stephany, we have just been through this. My husband got a MRSA infection in his urinary tract because of his nephrostomy tube. They started him on an oral antibiotic and after a week he was admitted to the hospital and put on IV vancomycin for two weeks. They also cultured his blood and fortunately the infection did not get into his bloodstream. He ran fevers daily.
They let him come home with home health coming into the house to demonstrate to me how to administer the vancomycin and flush his PICC line which was installed when he was in the hospital.

He is off all antibiotics now and has mercifully been free of fevers for the past two weeks. I wish we had been given something as good as the information that the hospital in Ohio gave patients. I got no instruction on how to care for the nephrostomy site.

The biggest risk for MRSA is being in the hospital, and having and intrusive procedure done. I am reasonably certain that the infection my husband got was when they repositioned his left nephrostomy tube.

Keep us posted on how Doran does. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 2 months ago #12307 by Stephany
Oh, my gosh! Where was this info when we were sent home from the hospital? What an angel you are. We have figured out most of that stuff, but only from trial and error.

One thing you might put in your files is that make-up sponges, the ones that are shaped like a wedge, are good for this.....you can cut off the high spot (cut them in half), and cut a groove in the high side, slide it under the tube, and it holds the tube in a perpendicular position, but protects it. Then put the other half on the other side, to form a protective barrier around it, and bandage.

On the other hand, he is feeling pretty good. They think they've figured out the bug, and how to kill it, and now it's a matter of time, and waiting for the blood cultures.

So, now we wait.

Thanks, Patricia, Ginger, and Margot (Margot....I replied this afternoon)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne