Mom (83 year old) just got diagnosed Stage II - III

16 years 3 months ago #12031 by Patricia
Joe..sent you an email with some info.......Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12027 by Joe S
My Mom, who just turned 83 years old this December has been diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. The Pathology Report states "Pappliary transitional cell carcinoma, grade II-III/III with severe thermal artifact detroying 50% of tumor tissue. Tumor is invading in smooth muscle tissue, favor muscularis propria".

The uroligist has suggested two methods -

One RC - He did state that normally surgery would not be an option, but that her good health should bring her through without any problems. Mom is very vital and in good health otherwise, drives car and lives on her own, etc. She would receive the ileal conduit.

Two - would be Chemo and Radiation.

We think the best mode for long term survival is the RC based on our research and urologist opinion.

My question is whether the surgeon we have currently is the best to do the RC? Should we get a second opinion? He does them about once a month and predominately on male patients. We live in Allentown, Pa and are wondering if anyone reading this post is familiar with any other local cancer centers that may do this operation on a more frequent basis. My feeling is I'd rather have a surgeon do the surgery on my Mom who does this sort of thing everyday, rather than once a month.

Your thoughts and commetns would be appreciated.

Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne