All about chemotherapy

16 years 3 months ago #11981 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic All about chemotherapy
Hi Lisa, I found this education for chemo on the NCI:

www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/chemotherapy-and-you

Hope it helps, try and enjoy Christmas and best wishes to you for 2008

Maria xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #11902 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic All about chemotherapy
Hi Lisa, My husband, Harry began his chemo on December 10th, so we are still "new" to this. He is on a 21 day cycle of Gemzar and Cisplatin. His doctor recommended four rounds of treatment and split the Cisplatin into two doses saying it would be easier on him. He is also getting Aloxi for nausea and has Compazine pills to take as needed. So far he is doing well, a little stomach upsetment, but not major, some heartburn issues too. After completing the first round, I would say his tiredness the biggest factor. He is usually very active around the house and yard, and this has definitely slowed him down...but that's ok, we can deal with it. As far as the hair loss, it is not something he is looking forward to, although the top of his head has been sparse for a while :) Otherwise, he lives up to his name, so to speak, so it will definitely be weird for him (and me) if he looses his hair...so far I haven't seen any loss...but I guess it is perhaps early for that...He recently had a hair cut and then joked he should have saved his money and gotten the dog clippers out instead to give himself a "buzz cut"! We will take it a step at a time, as we did the surgery and I know we will get through this. I know you will too. You'll be in our prayers for comfort and peace.

16 years 3 months ago #11900 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic All about chemotherapy
Lisa,

Don't cut your hair until you can actively see it falling out. My husband has been on 2 different Chemo drugs: Cisplatin/Gemzar, and CMV (the same as MVAC without the "A" drug). His hair did thin, but it definately did not all fall out. Remember that all of the side effects are ones you MAY experience. The side effects my husband experienced were fatigue, upset stomach, some nausea (but very well controlled with drugs), and neuropathy (basically tingling and numbness in the hands and feet) . This is different for everyone...you can get some or all of the side effects...Don't assume that your hair will be gone until you actually see it leaving...You can always get a hair cut....My husband is still getting haircuts 2x's a month, still shaves, and although it has thinned it is not gone. Some of the other side effects are worse so if you just end up losing your hair you are ahead of the game...

Good Wishes Headed your way,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 3 months ago #11899 by lisaloo
Replied by lisaloo on topic All about chemotherapy
Hi Thanks Cynthia
Thats pretty much what I had decided to do they said most people have last their hair before their second cycle so inbetween 2 and 4 four weeks of starting.I have planned to go shopping with my best friend to the January sales and find a wig as long as the first dose doesnt wipe me out too much.The more I think about it I dont think I will get it cut first its just a waste of money.
Lisa x

16 years 3 months ago #11898 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic All about chemotherapy
Lisa,

I had different chemo drugs than you are having but remember the same fears you are facing as far as the hair lose. It is easy for the health care professionals to give you advice and it is good advice, but they can not possibly know how the thought of losing your hair makes you feel. I was in a clinical trial that lasted nine months and lost my hair and as it was coming back in started chemo again and lost it once again. I look back on that time and it is a distant memory now and all behind me. My hair came in curly and thick but as time has gone by it has gone back to being straight as it was before but is thicker than it was. Go now and buy a wig take a girlfriend and try a lot of them on find one you like. If you always wanted to be a blonde or a redhead this is your chance. Buy synthetic not real hair as they look great and take less care and are far less expensive. Buy scarves and hats as you may not always want to wear the wig and believe it or not your head will get cold. Keep your hair through the holidays ask them what course of chemo they usually see hair lose and do it before then. I waited until it came out and have no idea what the easiest way to do it is. But I imagine there is no easy way if the truth be told. Just tell yourself this two will pass, cry when you have to and deal with this as you have everything else. Please keep us updated on how things are going.
If you like there is a piece I wrote about losing my hair. It is called “Thoughts on being a hairless wonder”.

blcwebcafe.org/cynthiascorner.asp

Chin up and straight forward

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

16 years 3 months ago #11896 by lisaloo
All about chemotherapy was created by lisaloo
Hi
I had my planning appointment this morning with all the obigatory blood tests ecgs etc followed by a long consultation with yet another doctor.Hes scared me to death with all the side effects common and barely ever ones.I am to have high dose MVAC for six cycles with my start date bought forward to the 2nd of January.
We saw the nurse afterwards who was really kind and went through it all again.She advised getting my hair cut short before it starts as it makes it less stressful when it falls out which she says it will do in a spectacular fashion.I think I am going to wait at least until after the first dose though as I want to keep my long hair for Christmas and New Year.
Really I just want some idea of how I am going to feel really.My second dose is on the 14th 12 days after the first will I feel like going to the hairdressers inbetween?Have any of you had mvac and kept your hair both the nurse and doctor said complete loss of all hair is certain.
I am scared of how its going to make me feel but I want to get started and get this behind me so I can get on with living my life.
Thanks and Happy Christmas
Lisa x

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne