May need RC

16 years 3 months ago #11857 by marie
Replied by marie on topic May need RC
Dear Don,
Thank you so much for your note. I will be thinking of you and really sending you good thoughts on Friday. I'll look forward to reading your journal, and I'll be posting on the forum with regard to what I'm doing. I have the surgery scheduled for Jan 18, and I am likely going to go ahead with it.
Hang in there with the vision back to normal by the spring/summer...wishing you so much good luck. Marie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #11852 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic May need RC
I had the same as you, found on Feb 8th, 06 , I had many turbs and cistos and treatments, even on second round went into remission if this is the rite way to say that, I was offered RC May of o6 and was going to it, But I wanted it done by laparoscopic da Vinci machine, Insurance turned it down, so I went for interferon/ bcg it worked for 9 months ;)I was free. then it came back. this last 3 month check, Stage T2, I am having RC on Fryday, yes insurance approved it this time, I will be making a journal and posting in some detail how it goes for me, doing it this way. If I add up all the turbs and the treatments just to delay the RC, It would have been better just to get it over with, but that water has passed under the bridge, in summer of 06. Although I am emotionally in a better position now. I am in my winter layoff from work so I have over 3 months to get back up to speed. To summarize these are very individual and personal dicitions, that we have to make. I wish that you have the best guidance from your doctors and from above. This a very tuff on the friends and family but they ultimate choice is yours. I need to say that one of my tumors that came back is rite by my left ureter so the position is dad for me, but this helps me know I must move forward. Every case is different of coarse, But you are in the rite place foe some guidance of the others have traveled before you. I wish you the best in whatever you go for. :) Don

Hanging in there!

16 years 3 months ago #11850 by marie
Replied by marie on topic May need RC
Dear Karen,

Thank you so much for your note. First let me say that I pray your husband can be pain free. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

You reflected the bottom line that I have thought about from the start of all of this. My doctor has said I could do the BCG treatment, but even with one more recurrance, I would have to have the RC (no more TURs). Your note did help me to refocus on the bottom line - doing the RC while they still think it is localized - that's really what I've thought from the start. I'm 48 and have three children.

I think I'm at the best facility in Canada, and with a really good doc. They are doing the CT etc prior to the surgery.

Thank you again for your note, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

God Bless You,
Maire

16 years 3 months ago #11848 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic May need RC
Marie,

I may be posting outside of my expertise, but I do still have an opinion regarding what can happen if this cancer is caught too late, or left untreated.

My husband has Metastatic Bladder Cancer...It is in his Bones, and causing such extreme pain. If given the chance or to be able to turn back the clock to a time where the cancer was localized in the bladder we would get the surgery as soon as possible...

If the BCG's, and TUR's every few months are just maintenace,ok...but if it is in an effort to just save your bladder...get the surgery and get the chance to be done with the cancer...

I also am hoping that you have a great Dr. and a Great Facility as your disposal. If possible get all your scans (bone & ct) a few weeks before any surgery is scheduled. Ask for them to be read ASAP, if there is any spread at all outside the bladder PLEASE get a second opinion as to whether or not to do the surgery......

Please do all of the work necessary BEFORE surgery if that is your route. Know what is ahead of you at every possible turn...In some cases bladder sparing radiation/chemo is possible...But for me...I would want the best chance at just getting the cancer out of my body all together. Bladder or no Bladder...

God Bless You,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 3 months ago #11844 by marie
May need RC was created by marie
I have T1G3 multiple sites, invasion into lamina propria only and two recurrances within 3 months...had 3 TURBTs. Initial tumor was greater than 3cm. Strongly considering RC now...have not had any BCG (there has not really been time, as every few weeks I have had another TURBT, then wait for results). I know it's a grey area and totally my decision, but I'm interested in anyones' experience with similar diagnoses. Thanks so much...I posted this in the Non-Invasive area, but thought I'd also post it here.
Marie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne