4 days till the big RC,

16 years 4 months ago #11875 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic 4 days till the big RC,
hi don - i just read your post. i haven't been on the forum much lately because after you get the surgery (my husband's RC was 6 weeks ago) you go back to your life pre-op. my husband worried and worried and worried about so much, and it turned out to not be so bad, in retrospect. he had his RC on a monday. he had bowel sounds tuesday, passed gas and some liquidy stuff by wednesday. stoppped pushing the morphine button by thursday. he did walk around a lot - up and down the halls at all hours of the day and night. i think that, combined with stopping the morphine fairly early on helped things move along quickly. he wasn't a martyr, mind you - just didn't have that much pain. he only had one tube (supra pubic, i think it's called), the catheter, and no NG tube. he went to work today for his office christmas party and will be starting back to work next week. he'll probably get in around 11 and leave around 3 to start. he's dry during the day but still wears a diaper for security. i think the diaper days are numbered - he should graduate to the "man-pad" soon. at night he's up about 3-4 times to urinate so he wakes up dry most nights, but again still wears the diaper for security, and it's only 3 1/2 weeks since the catheter came out. so i wish you the same good luck. the chemo was ten times worse, in his opinion.

you WILL survive. fight for your survival and stay positive. they remove your cancer and your life will go on. we are back to going out with our friends, shopping, dinners out, etc. our son comes home from college tonite. big family dinner xmas day. we're very grateful and happy that he's alive. it wasn't as bad as you think it will be. he only lost 10 pounds, and has gained back 7. the only complication he had was an "ileus" - a slowing down of the bowels. it was about 10 days post-op. so he went to our local hospital and they put him on IV fluids for 3 days. no big deal. and after his surgery he had a fever of 102 - again, just gave him some antibiotics; it was a UTI. we feel very lucky. he was stage 2-3 - same as you. don't be afraid - you'll get through it. we'll be thinking of you and wish you the best.

eileen

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11866 by Joe M
Replied by Joe M on topic 4 days till the big RC,
Good Luck Sky,
I have confidence your surgery will go very well.
You will be a sore man afterward, but the docs & nurses want you to be comfortable.
Use the morphine pump button! Do not be uncomfortable.
Once you can get up and walk, do laps around the ward, as much as you can tolerate.
Go visit other people on the ward, bug...I mean charm the nurses....

The worst part was the tube in the nose, draining the stomach.
This is a small suction to drain the stomach and keep anything from going into the intestines.

If you can sweet talk the nurses, after a few days...which I am sure you can....they may give you some small ice chips to suck on. Let them melt and then spit out the water.

The nose tube lasted about 6 days, and then I could have some minor amounts of liquids....like 2 ounces of coffee. some juice and soda, broth etc.
Nobody leaves any hospital until they've had a first bowel movement, after the surgery.

Anesthesia will put your bowels to sleep for days, and they won't feed you until those wake up again.
And walking helps wake them up. So take a lap around the ward every couple of hours, if you can.

Not to scare you, my 'innerds' held out for 9 days before waking up!
Mine was far longer than average....but I'm not your average!

My hospital had a 24/7 kitchen staff...I had nice hot french fires at 2AM!
And chocolate milk & a two cookies, for breakfast!
Then I got a regular diet ad meals....and they let food be brought in....so order up your favorite!

Anyway pilot, it is a major surgery...but very survivable, as we are evidence of, in here.
Be the happy guy on the ward....there will be lots of real complainers. So I can only suggest you make it pleasant for your wife and the staff.
If you're a pilot...you have to have a good sense of humor.

I wish you luck this weekend, we'll be rooting for you ...except when the Packers are Sunday at Noon.
We get to beat the Bears.

Be strong and as a 5 yr survivor, there is a good future ahead.

PS: Come to the EAA Oshkosh Airshow next summer and we'll get into trouble.javascript:void(0);

Joe

16 years 4 months ago #11861 by flamenco
Replied by flamenco on topic 4 days till the big RC,
hi Don,
Really hope all goes well for you and looking forward to hearing from you soon after your surgery. Will be thinking of you over the christmas season.
love Flamenco

16 years 4 months ago #11860 by dadhasbc
Replied by dadhasbc on topic 4 days till the big RC,
Don, Best wishes to you and your family! It can be a difficult time for everyone, but I'm sure you will come through it just fine, and without cancer! andrea

16 years 4 months ago #11841 by Dixie
Replied by Dixie on topic 4 days till the big RC,
Just wanted to let you know that life after a cystectomy does get pretty much back to normal, it just takes time. It is not as bad as you probably think. My prayers are with you. Just keep that positve attitude going.
Dixie

16 years 4 months ago #11838 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic 4 days till the big RC,
Don I am the same diagnosis as you. Here is virtual pre op ((((( hugs to you )))) You seem to have a great attitude and I know you will come through this just fine.
Keep us posted when you feel well enough. Maria xx

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne