On to the next stage of recovery

16 years 4 months ago #11040 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic On to the next stage of recovery
Mike great news. AS you know I have a second opinion with Dr Schoenberg in two weeks after my firts TUR. MRI and CAT scans show no spread.

What will be your follow up now? Still every 3 months for scans etc?

thanks Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11007 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic On to the next stage of recovery

Actually it does. Or rather it can. I think you'll find that when you're doing something you love, thoughts of cancer are pushed so far into the background that they can stay away for quite a while. I just spent a week in Santa Fe and I can honestly say that, except for a couple of times, I didn't think about cancer at all.

That's saying a lot. A year ago it was all I was thinking about.

You're right, though. It will never go away entirely, but with luck and a bit of focus, it can stay away for long periods at a time.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 4 months ago #11006 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic On to the next stage of recovery
Thanks Zach!

You and everyone else on the forum has been a great help.

I managed to self-cath even though I've been dreading it for 5 months. I can do it if I have to! I realize you've been thru all this and you know it's a relief to stop worrying about most of this stuff. I do know it never goes away entirely.

Thanks again.

Mike

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

16 years 4 months ago #11005 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic On to the next stage of recovery
Mike, that's a fantastic report. Congratulations, both to you and your wife.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 4 months ago #11004 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic On to the next stage of recovery
Hi Joe.

I just got back from Dr. Schoenberg this evening. I had my catheter removed today and learned how to self-cath. Though it was a nervewracking day, afterwards I walked 3 hours through a mall with my wife and i still feel energetic.

I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Schoenberg. He has a disarming offhand manner, but his work is topnotch. My surgery lasted 3 hours and I was home from the hospital in 6 days with only a catheter and no other tubes. My energy level is very high and I am 59 years old. My wife and I did extensive research and feel that no matter what is to come we made the best decision going to Hopkins. Schoenberg is head of urological oncology at the number one hospital for urology in the country! He's done close to 600 radical cysto-prostatectomies.

We got other opinions and the surgeries were longer and the docs had less experience, more complications, and sent you home with more tubes.

I totally understand your fears. I have to admit that I cried today on the way home. I read the clean pathology report and all the tension from 5 months of fear and apprehension poured out of me. It was a frightful time.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime. I appreciated the help from all the people we spoke to and look forward to helping others. I will send you my email address and phone number.

Mike Greenberg

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

16 years 4 months ago #10989 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic On to the next stage of recovery
Mike glad you are on your way to a full recovery. I see you had your surgery at Hopkins. Who was your doctor? I am seeing Dr Schoenberg in two weeks for a second opinion.

If I ever need to go that route I will look for information from you. I will have my first TUR on Monday. Very scared.

Joe

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne