A Study I Liked: Coffee is Good

6 years 11 months ago #53160 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic A Study I Liked: Coffee is Good
DonnaD,

Below is a summary of the COFFEE article, and a link to the full article (from Harvard)

I gave up smoking years before the BC hit. The first few months were rough - I wanted my burning drug, but I also wanted to quit. Talk about mixed messages. I gave up coffee at that time, because it seemed impossible to have a cup of joe and NOT fire up a smoke....

Somewhere around 6 months you will suddenly realize that the smoke demons have stopped screaming for a cigarette. Then it becomes easier. The gum tastes lousy, and the patches itch. And you are getting there ! You have come this far, it is easier to stay on track than backslide and start over; but you always have the option to start over and quit again. Studies do suggest that continuing to smoke leads to less desirable outcomes.

Eventually you get to the point of taking pity on the people standing outside the office in the snow sucking on a cancer stick. Been there.

Hang in there - quitting is worth the effort, even if we did not have BC, believe me. Been there too. Good Luck and success.

Best
Jack

BC and COFFEE
"The final protective measure is to drink more fluid. It seems intuitive that a high urine volume will dilute toxins in the urine and increase voiding frequency, both of which should protect the vulnerable bladder cells from carcinogens. But intuition can be misleading, and two small European studies reported mixed findings: French investigators did not demonstrate any benefit from a high fluid intake, but Spanish scientists reported that coffee appeared protective.
A large American study, however, was more optimistic. A 1999 Harvard study of 47,909 male health professionals showed that dilution may be a solution to the bladder cancer conundrum. All the men were free of cancer when the study began in 1986. Over the next 10 years, the researchers kept track of each man’s consumption of 22 different types of beverages as well as the occurrence of bladder cancers.
When the results were analyzed, the men who drank the most (averaging about 2 quarts a day) were 49% less likely to develop bladder cancer than the men who drank the least (averaging less than 1 quarts per day).
Although water was particularly beneficial, all types of beverages contributed to protection, including alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, which had been cited as possible risk factors in some earlier studies.
All in all, men can decrease their risk of bladder cancer by 7% for each additional 8 ounces of fluid they drink each day. In a sense, then, the bladder is like so many other parts of the body: the more it’s used, the healthier it stays."

Harvard Men’s Health Watch
Source: www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/bladder-cancer-men-at-risk

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #53153 by DonnaD
Replied by DonnaD on topic A Study I Liked: Coffee is Good
I would really like to read that article. Being new at all this, I quit smoking the day after my first TURBT but I am on the patches. I am in my 3rd week of BCG. If I am going through all this for nothing because I'm on the patch then I'm going to totally give up.

7 years 2 months ago #52565 by Nicke
Replied by Nicke on topic A Study I Liked: Coffee is Good
Coffee is a big source of antioxidants. From the article linked below: "This is believed to be protective against aging and many diseases that are partly caused by oxidative stress, including cancer."

authoritynutrition.com/coffee-worlds-biggest-source-of-antioxidants/

Niklas

12-12 Diagnosis
13-1 Turb TAG1
13-5 Turb Ta low grade, multiple
13-10 Turb TaG2, multiple
13-11 Mitomycin 8 weeks + 6 month
15-01 Turb

7 years 2 months ago #52564 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic A Study I Liked: Coffee is Good
I wonder if it is the fact that coffee acts as a diuretic, so actually stimulates urine output- outcome being that you then need to take on board more liquids ??

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #52563 by Sean T
Replied by Sean T on topic A Study I Liked: Coffee is Good
Yes, Jack, I read that study. I believe it was NIH. The study showed that continuing smoking after diagnosis increases chance of recurrence. I asked my doc at Hopkins if it helped if a 40 year smoker like me has been "quit" for only a few months or so before starting BCG and he said "yes!"

Another NIH study said using any nicotine (patches, gum, etc.) has been shown to lessen the effect of BCG.

Nicotine and tobacco are powerful.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!

7 years 2 months ago #52562 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic A Study I Liked: Coffee is Good
Sean,

When I quit smoking I also had to give up coffee - not that I had any choice in the matter. The two went together so well, like old friends. The cigs were gone, but coffee was a temptress -I'd pat my pocket, find nothing, then look for someone to bum from. Then I'd regain control.

So I switched to sugary drinks. Coke and camels had nothing in common. Im not sure that the 12 tablespoons of corn syrup was much better. But it worked.

A while back we has a thread about SMOKING. I provide a link to a good quality study on smoking and bladder cancer.

While a study does not predict the outcome for any individual, being a current smoker increases your risk. We all know that BC is likely to return after treatment, and be treated again.

Whatever calms the demons for someone is OK in my book. I have my drug of choice, and life remains good.I never want to be one of those reformed smokers who rags on anyone who lights one up.

Do a search on SMOKING for the thread and link if you like.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sean T

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne