my dad just diagnosed

16 years 4 months ago #11673 by cas
Replied by cas on topic my dad just diagnosed
my dad got good news from the doctor. he had a second TURBT tuesday after his initial TURBT 5 weeks ago. they did not find any cancer. he will go back in one month to have the stent that was placed in his ureter removed and then start BCG treatment. we are all so relieved that nothing was found (he is T1 G2-3) this was the best news we could hear. it has been a hard time since finding out my dad was diagnosed, this site has been great, i want to thank everyone who lent their support to me, it means alot. i'll update everyone as i know more.
claudia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11567 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic my dad just diagnosed
The bladder itself is made up of four layers. These layers are important landmarks in determining how deeply the tumor has invaded and the ultimate stage of the cancer.
Epithelium: The epithelium, which lines the bladder and is in contact with the urine, is referred as transitional epithelium or urothelium. Most bladder cancers originate from the cells of this transitional epithelium. The urethra, ureters and the pelvis of the kidney are also lined by this transitional epithelium, therefore, the same types of cancers seen in the bladder can also occur in these sites.

Lamina propria: Under the epithelium is the lamina propria, a layer of connective tissue and blood vessels. Within the lamina propria, there is a thin and often discontinuous layer of smooth muscle called the muscularis mucosae. This superficial layer of smooth muscle is not to be confused with the true muscular layer of the bladder called the muscularis propria or detrusor muscle.

Muscularis propria or detrusor muscle: This deep muscle layer consists of thick smooth muscle bundles that form the wall of the bladder. For purposes of staging bladder cancer, the muscularis propria has been divided into a superficial (inner) half and a deep (outer) half.

Perivesical soft tissue: This outermost layer consists of fat, fibrous tissue and blood vessels. When the tumor reaches this layer, it is considered out of the bladder.

16 years 4 months ago #11566 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic my dad just diagnosed
Claudia,

I'm can't answer the question about the fat layer, but I can tell you that your Dr is being very conscientious to reTURB for residual tumor. The same happened with me about 5-6 weeks after initial TURB. It is just good doctoring.

I am T1 G3 also. It has been 2 years, and I have not had recurrance yet.

Hang in there. I'm just guessing that what the Dr. meant about the fat is that he got a deep muscle biopsy, but don't take my word for it.

I like your Dad's Dr. already.

Take care,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 4 months ago #11563 by cas
i found out the md removed tissue upto the "fatty" layer. i'm not sure what this means, he had a turb at hospital on outpatient basis, does this mean a sample of the tissue outside the bladder muscle? can that be done with a turb? thanks.

claudia

16 years 4 months ago #11562 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic my dad just diagnosed
Its good procedure to go back in after a T1, Grade 3 diagnosis which indicates its a little aggressive....its possible he could be upgraded but that doesn't mean its not treatable. Hang in there until Friday.......Pat

16 years 4 months ago #11556 by cas
hi,

my dad just had his second turb today after his initial one 5 weeks ago. his dx was t1 g2-3. the md said it was protocal to do a second turb for any residual tumor. the doctor went in and removed what was left and also scraped the bladder wall. he said he would not know if it had spread until biopsy results on friday. i am scared, my question is when they go in for second procedure do they think it has spread at all or is that just procedure? i am really scared, i was doing good because i knew it was non invasive and treatable. when they did the first biopsy could they not tell then if it had spread? it it possible now that his stage will be upgraded? i am just scared and confused. thanks.

claudia

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne