my dad just diagnosed

16 years 4 months ago #9622 by joeburg55
Replied by joeburg55 on topic my dad just diagnosed
Hi, My name is Joe, The first thing you need to do, is get the patholgy report to find out if it is invasive or not, But from what you have writtin the Uro, feels that it is probly non-invasive and just needs to be removed and watched
Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #9494 by cas
Replied by cas on topic my dad just diagnosed
Hi Wendy,

thanks for the advice, it makes sense and makes me feel a little better. take care.

claudia

16 years 5 months ago #9492 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic my dad just diagnosed
Hi Claudia and Rosemary,

Welcome Claudia, unknown territory is daunting. Yes, you're describing a Ta or T1 tumor, probably T1 because BCG is being given but it could also be a Ta. The more important aspect is the 'grade' of the cancer, high or low grade. There is more info about that here;
blcwebcafe.org/staging.asp Low grade bladder tumors, meaning non-aggressive, are the most common. Bladder cancer is very treatable at this stage. In fact, bladder cancer is a very treatable cancer even when it's high grade and stage. So first I want to say, please try not to panic.

About the word 'shaving'; you would be surprised at the number of different techniques used to do a trans-urethral resection (TUR). The electro-cautery loop thingie, a roller ball type thing, lasers, cold cup biopsies, other instruments too, I'm sure. It depends on the doctor's preference. There have never been any comparative studies done in randomized trials to see what is the best way to remove a bladder tumor. Amazing, isn't it?

Take care, and please ask questions. When you know what the pathology of the tumor was, you can fine tune your search for answers.
Wendy

PS, there is really no way to be certain of the grade or stage of the tumor until the TUR is done, and the path report comes back.

16 years 5 months ago #9490 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic my dad just diagnosed
Claudia,

I have PM'd Wendy. She is online now, but if she misses the post this round, I will E Mail her later.

I will keep a check.

Your bud,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 5 months ago #9488 by cas
Replied by cas on topic my dad just diagnosed
thanks rosemary, i will keep you posted.

claudia

16 years 5 months ago #9486 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic my dad just diagnosed
Okay,

I will have to defer to Wendy about this. I hesitate to say much because I'm not familiar with this procedure. It sounds like you are very scared and I don't want to increase your fears in any way, just as long as your Urologist knows what he is doing.

It seems clear to me after being on this forum for almost two years that having a good Urologist at initial Dx is about 3/4 of the battle.

Good luck and if I can be of any help, please let me know.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne