Need help from anyone living w/external pouch

17 years 9 months ago #937 by JMLNY
Hi,
My 74-year-old father has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. It's stage T2-3 -- and it's invaded his left ureter as well. His doctor is encouraging him to have his left kidney, ureter, and bladder removed -- but has also offered him a "2nd best" treatment option of removing the kidney, ureter, and just removing part of his bladder (where the tumor is), and hoping there are no other cancer cells in his bladder -- and it won't spread. (BTW -- he is NOT a candidate for an internal pouch). What's stopping my dad from removing his entire bladder is his fear of living with an external pouch. To him, it's like the end of the world. He feels he'll have no quality of life. It scares/depresses the heck out of him. Are any of you living with an external pouch -- and living well? Would you be amenable to speaking with my father and telling him that "it's not so bad" -- and that while it's not your old life -- it IS a life...and one worth living?
Feel free to contact me off-line at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Thank you --
Jamie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne