Recently diagnosed, best sequence of treatment.

16 years 6 months ago #8331 by glennfg
Sorry all for any confusion. the last thread from happy was actually from me.
I was on my wifes computer.
To answer your question momof4 we live in the detroit area.
We have seen an oncologist and are seeking a second opinion.

Thanks
Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8320 by momof4
Glenn,

What part of the country do you live in? Has she gotten a second opinion? Is she seeing an oncologist yet?

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 6 months ago #8318 by Happy
I believe the BCG was done. This all started in april. My wife seen the urologist.
He had her in the hospital for a scraping. Whatever that means. Than she was going to the doctor for treatments every monday which i believe was the BCG. After the treatments were over he checked her again and said she needed to go in again for another scraping. Then when we're at the hospital i here they'er going to do a biopsy. It seams to me that she had cancer ever since april and we never new.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

16 years 6 months ago #8317 by momof4
Glenn,

So sorry that your family is facing this. The answer to your question, (as it was explained to me in laymens terms) is that they want to make sure that they have the cancer under control to an extent, and that it doesn't spread prior to surgery because after surgery it will take 6 weeks or better before she will be recovered enough for any further treatments. They may have her do chemo after the surgery as well. Chemo is rough no doubt about it, but it has come along way in the past few years. Will she be having BCG (Basically this is Bladder cleansing Chemo where they irrigate her bladder with the drug, she holds it for a few hours, and passes it before she leaves the facility) or will it be IV Chemo? There is a tremendous difference between the two. I don't think the BCG is as detrimental elsewhere as it is confined to the bladder only. My husband gets the IV Chemo, and it is rough going...

Good Luck to you and your Wife,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 6 months ago #8316 by Patricia
The answer is yes. It depends on the uro..some do it first .. some wait until after cystectomy. I think the feeling is that doing the chemo first while you're still somewhat strong to recover from the effects. Plus depending on the type of diversion she's considering the chemo won't affect the new diversion. Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8315 by glennfg
My wife was just diagnose with bladder cancer T2, High grade.
They would like to do the chemo first and than remove the bladder.
I think that this is opposite the norm for bladder cancer. Has anyone been treated in this order?

Thanks for everyones help.

Glenn

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne