My Mother just went through her 2nd TUR and....

16 years 6 months ago #8289 by TheWifeAgain
Replied by TheWifeAgain on topic My Mother just went through her 2nd TUR and....
After my husband's initial TURBT there was an difference of opinion of the pathology so they did a 2nd TURBT for two reasons 1) to restage and regrade to be sure (they were sent to two different labs that time) and 2) to check to see if the tumor had been totally resected and removed because it was large (10cm) and very close to the ureter.

Shortly after the BCG (approx 3 weeks) they did an in office Cysto and they commented on the fact that his bladder was very red and irritated. It was clear to see on the screen even wioth an untrained eye. They said that was a pretty normal finding. They did not mention that the capacity of the bladder was affected though.

I agree with Pat that your mom may be trying to figure this all out in her mind and may not be ready to tell all. Ask her if she could have the doctor call you to talk about what's going on or even e-mail you. I have always had a good e-mail contact with my husband's docs.

I also agree with Pat that to have another CT so soon seems to be of concern. That's a great question to ask the doc if you get to write or talk to him.

If she could ask them for a copy of the pathology, operative, office notes and Cysto findings she could fax them to you and then you would have some definite info to research or question.

Best of luck to you and your mom Vikki.

Age 53 Currently
Bladder Cancer Diagnosis October 2006 T1G3
2011 Finally made it 6 month between Cystos
8/22/2011 Cysto in the OR
(BCG and BCG Maintenance over the years)
Graduated to yearly Cystos
Tumor found at first one year Cysto - TURBT 4/26/2013
Kidney pain - CT scan 5/1/2013

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #8264 by Patricia
Vicki...i think Mom just doesn't want to tell you the entire story or maybe she really doesn't know it or want to know it. She must have had blood in her urine for them to do a cysto to begin with and to schedule a TURB..they had to have seen a tumor or tumors...cells would not have been visible......they would present in a urine specimen.....but they had to have seen something in there to do a pathology report on. And like i said some people tolerate BCG just fine...others do not and it widely varies. Lets hope time will take care of the irritation to her bladder. But i'm still confused over the recommended second CT scan. I wish you could talk to her doctor. I'm sure some others will chime in here pretty soon more experienced with this..its a Saturday and its quiet right now but keep checking the site. I wish i could offer more....Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8262 by Vikki
Thanks for responding Pat :)I do not know what the pathology reports say? Her original one from what she told me was like the lining of her bladder had cancer cells and her firt CAT showed no spread. I don't think my Mom would be fourth coming with much info on that since she really didn't want to tell me she had cancer in the first place. I figured it out with the little bits of info she was giving me :'( The TUR and then the CAT biggest clues. Then she did finally tell me after about 3 months and she was already getting her BCG treatments. Her last BCG installment/wash was 3 or 4 weeks prior to the TUR which she had on Thurs 9/20/07. She went home today 9/22/07. I think mabe the Dr. was telling her, her bladder could only hold about a 1/3 a cup from her bladder being so swollen and irritated. In my mind I figure irritation would not be a good sign since she had the BCG treatments more than 3 weeks ago. But then again I don't really know?? My Mom is 67 and quit smoking 15 years ago. She has always been a big artifical sweetener kinda person. I don't know if that matters or not just a little info :-) My Mom was supposed to move back to the States to be by us, but since all of this it has kept her in Ireland.

Thanks for your feedback,
Vikki

16 years 6 months ago #8260 by Patricia
Vicki..you need to find out what the pathology report said on the first TURB..i'm guessing it was not invasive or they would not have done BCG. How soon after her BCG treatments did they do the second TURB? Everyone reacts differently to BCG and her reaction of irritation is not so unusual but what i do find unusual is that she can only hold l/3c of urine in her bladder....what is the explanation for that? Did the doctor take samples on the second TURB? What did that pathology report say? I don't know why the doctor would want a second CT scan so soon unless pathology indicated that the tumor/tumors were invasive. Are you able to get that information from her. She can request the reports from the hospital.
I'm so sorry there is such a distance between you..you both must be feeling helpless. We'll try to help but we need some more information.......Pat

16 years 6 months ago #8254 by Vikki
Hi I am new here and have alot of questions I am not sure anyone can answer. My Mom lives in Ireland and I live in the US. Mom was diagnosed with bladder cancer in May through having a TUR. After the TUR she hat a CAT scan which read the cancer had not spread to any surrounding organs. She went through 6 weeks of weekly BCG treatments and a month (give or take a week) later she had another TUR. During the TUR the Dr. said her bladder was red and inflamed/irritated and that is was most likely caused from the BCG installments and that it was not a "typical" reaction? What does that mean???? Also, she now again has to go for another CAT scan. Does that mean that they suspect that the cancer may have spread?? Through out this entire process she has continual severe urge to urinate. Dr. said her bladder can only hold about 1/3 of a cup. Now since I live in the US the only info I am getting is what my mother tells me. I cannot go to Ireland and be of any real support as I have 3 small children. My mom lives alone. I am very concerned and that is why I have joined this group.

Thanks for listening I mean reading this,
Vikki

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne