recently diagnosed

16 years 9 months ago #6346 by New2This
Replied by New2This on topic recently diagnosed
Thanks Rosemary for your comments,

We are in Texas and 2 possible choices for hospitals that we know of are MD Anderson (expensive) and UT Southwestern - don't know any costs yet. We believe both would give good care. It would be good to hear comments from people who have used these facilities. We have pretty much let one doctor be our guide so far and have come to the conclusion we must get more pro-active. We do have an appt next week with a urologist to start the second opinion route.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #6343 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic recently diagnosed
Dear New,

This bladder diverticulum factor is very new to me. I admit that I had to look it up. It seems that bladder divericula is a congenital abnormality...
this from Wikipedia

Sometimes we like to ask what area of the country you live, or if you are living outside of the US. This helps us to guide you to some of the very best hospitals for second opinions and sometimes for treatment. The hospital or clinic which you choose to give him opinions and or treatment will be of invaluable support to his cancer battle.

As far as BCG, etc goes, I couldn't even fathom a guess.

As far as finances go, I wonder if a State subsidized hospital would be your best bet. But, first, I think you need to get beyond the second opinion.

Please keep talking to us here. As I said, this is a new one on me.

Best of luck,
Your new friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 9 months ago #6342 by New2This
recently diagnosed was created by New2This
My husband (age 56 non smoker - never been sick) was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. He has had 2 cystoscopies (with turb) and had a tumor removed and the latest cysto indicated a diverticula with the cancer probably inside as well as around. (We are still learning all the terminology) Symptom of blood in urine started in February, initial cysto April when the cancer was diagnosed.
To try to shorten a longer story, we are now in the process of second opinions and have several possible routes. (The last thing his Dr said was to get the bladder out). He has had no BCG or any treatment yet.
One of the main things is we don't know the "staging". We don't know if the cancer is beyond the bladder yet either. We know more tests are in order. What test best helps with staging? He did have a CT (abdomen & pelvis) which didn't sound good, but his Dr said much of the reading could be attributed to the after-effects of the cysto/turb a couple of weeks before the CT. Unfortunately, we are also having to price-shop; we are self-pay.
Can anyone give me an idea of the costs you have encounted, of bladder removal (if that is the final solution?)
I have many more questions, but don't want to overwhelm at first.
Thanks for your help

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne