ANY MEN OUT THERE WITH AN INDIANA POUCH?

16 years 7 months ago #7234 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic ANY MEN OUT THERE WITH AN INDIANA POUCH?
Pat I just got an Indiana Pouch as you know now. When my surgeon first went in he did not like the look of a couple of lesions or cells he saw so he went to my second choice. We discussed all this before my surgery. Turns out the pathology report comes back no cancer, but at the time while doing the surgery this is a top notch surgeon who does about 50 - 90 of these per year he did not want to take the chance and do the neobladder. I put my trust with this surgeon Dr. Malkowicz and still do. I had another surgery 5 yrs ago a bi-femoral bypass with a 16 inch horozontal incision across my abdomen. It took him over 2 hrs to cut thru this because of all the scar tissue and lesions. At first I was a little disappointed I did not get the Neo but I have come to really like the pouch. Right now I am catherizing at 4-5 hrs and the best part no leakage at night time and sleeping much better. Now I do have to set the alarm at night and get up once but I was up once anyway before the pouch. They say everything happens for a reason I am very satisfied and above all I am cancer free now, turned out to be one very lucky man. Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #6148 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic ANY MEN OUT THERE WITH AN INDIANA POUCH?
Thanks Melodie...i'll be interested in what he has to say. You're going to a great doc....90 a yr. is a terrific number...he's probably got his operating room time down to about 5 l/2 hrs with no surprizes of course. PAT

16 years 9 months ago #6145 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic ANY MEN OUT THERE WITH AN INDIANA POUCH?
Pat,

I'm off tomorrow to meet with my surgeon at the Univ. Wash.....I will try to ask that question for as I understand it, he doesn't do the neo-bladder on either but specalizes in the pouch....and he does like about 90 a year. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 9 months ago #6133 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic ANY MEN OUT THERE WITH AN INDIANA POUCH?
They're probably are..they just haven't visited the site. Maybe a call to the local uro's or surgeons could give us a number?? I think that probably they only offer the neobladder to men because it has a higher success rate than for women....and only go the pouch route if there is a complication when they get in there. Pat

16 years 9 months ago #6131 by D61
Bringing this back up to the top...
but sure looks like there are no takers.

Can anyone explain this to me ?

Why, are there no men with the Cutaneous Diversion...?

16 years 9 months ago #5836 by Patricia
just curious....are there any men with an Indiana Pouch and what were the circumstances for choice? Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne