New guy, new story, new questions...

16 years 9 months ago #5796 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New guy, new story, new questions...
Yeah Zachary...whatever they see they take out!!!....Its just what they do here in the states. Appendix always goes.
However there are some places like Johns Hopkins and Indiana University...just 2 i know of....that are doing nerve sparing surgery...and also with the females they're not neccesarily taking out ovaries and uterus...not sure what their stance is on the prostate. I suppose it all depends on the nature and placement of the tumor/tumors....my guess is with the plumbing set up with the guys the prostate always goes...but you definately want the best surgeon to spare those nerves..........Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #5793 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic New guy, new story, new questions...
Yeah Zach I was surprised when I heard this also. This was just a Dr I saw for my pre admission deal that told me this. I will update after I speak with Dr. Malkowicz who will be doing my surgery. I'm thinking if I were to get appenditcitis it would be one less problem they would have to deal with if I am able to get the neobladder. Like my prostrate perfectly fine and that has to go that really suxs. I hope all is going well for you Zach. Joe

16 years 9 months ago #5792 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic New guy, new story, new questions...

They're removing your appendix?

That's the first I've heard of removing a perfectly good (at whatever the heck it does) appendix. I wonder why mine was left in? It was never even mentioned.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 9 months ago #5791 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic New guy, new story, new questions...
D61 you sound like a fighter so that is half the battle with this friggin disease. I am a 52 yr old male with a T2 G3 invassive tumor and have been fighting since dx on 1/6/07. After you have the stage my question was after the different tests Ct Scan, Bone Scan etc. was the cancer contained to just the bladder or had it spread, luckily mine stayed contained. So since that was the case my surgeon opted for me to have have the pre-op chemo then the surgery which is coming up soon June 20. Nothing wrong with my prostrate either but with this cancer removing the bladder my prostrate must go along with my appendix if you still have them. So if I were you I want to know first is the cancer contained to the bladder and then this lets one know what treatment is the best to take.
I guess all hospitals are the same the Dr's drop by for a visit but it is the nurses that really take care of you and are the real angels. Well I wish you the best and this is a great board with many great folks that are here to answer or help on any questions you might have as you are finding out. Best Wishes, Joe

16 years 9 months ago #5787 by D61
Replied by D61 on topic New guy, new story, new questions...
Again, thanks to each of you for your input...

This afternoon I sit down with the urologist to discuss "his suggestions"
on how we should proceed. Based on several comments at this site I have typed up a list of questions for him.

As stated previously, I intend to leave his office and then go to the hospital to thank the various nurses and also ask for their input and comments.
I will phone the hospital now to request they have my 'Discharge Summary' ready Patricia...

With this groups encouragement and advice...I now intend to take my time with any decisions. Todays meetings should have me coming home tonight with a better grasp of what to ask and do next.

I'll be back tomorrow with an update... ;)

16 years 9 months ago #5777 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New guy, new story, new questions...
Jerry ...the hospital report is called the discharge summary...and its yours...call them and tell them to have it ready for you to pick up. See what you can glean from that. Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne