Effects of Radiation

16 years 10 months ago #5624 by joeburg55
Replied by joeburg55 on topic Effects of Radiation
Hi, My Name is Joe , i was diagnosed with Grade 3 tumor T2 N0 M0, I am going threw the bladder spariing protocals , I am receiiving Radiation and chemo, and so far it looks promising, as far as the intentines being compromised, I have been told that is not the case alltoghether, The radiation is pin pointed at the bladder area, not the intenstines, I go in for my Biopsy tommorow to see if it has done its job, I belive before i am willing to remove my bladder i will approach all avenues with a keen eye, and go with my gut feelings.
joeburg55

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5478 by Melodie
Effects of Radiation was created by Melodie
After learning I had BC in early March, , I was told I was a T3B and needed four months of chemo followed by surgery to remove the bladder. I said, OK, so what if I don't want my bladder removed....I was told, second otpion would be to have chemo combined with radiation. But they added this was not the best option.

My mother-in-law who had lived with BC for 35 years warned me not to get readiation. In reading info. on this website, I believe I read that if radiation is used, then the intestines are compromised and cannot be used later to make a Indiana pouch or neo-bladder and the only recourse after radiation is the iliueum (sp) conduit. Today I was talking with my oncologist about the effects of the chemo and radiation and he did not think that radiation would harm the intestines as they are above the bladder. He said he has a patient who did not want to have surgery and so opted for chemo combined with radiation and is still cancer free after five years. He is, however, 80 years old so I think he made a wise choice given his age.

I am wanting to know if anyone has some input to provide in regard to what surgical procedures can be done following radiation. I have an appointment with my surgeon on 6/26 but until that time, wish to continue doing my own research in regard to this question. Beside, he is a surgeon and what do they do....they operate. Thanks to all who can put more light on this subject. :-/ Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne