Large Tumor

16 years 10 months ago #5480 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Large Tumor
mattsmudder,

It is very natural to feel anxious when we get the news we have BC. When I was seeing the urologist for the first time, he asked if I wanted to see the monitor and I said yes....so he turned it on. Indeed, a picture is worth a thousand words.....he showed me what the normal tissue looked like and then when he moved the camera, he didn't need to say anything....seeing a mass of angry red tissue told me it was cancer and I wanted it out as soon as possible. Two days later he removed the tumor. I thought at the time, however, that the cancer was only superficial. Immediately following surgery, the doc told me it had gone into the muscle and I would need 4 months of chemo and have my bladder out. All of a sudden, the clock stopped. I was numb. My mind wasn't ready to absorb that kind of news. Later that night at the hospital, I fell asleep crying as I felt so overwhelmed and alone. Finding this website helped me to learn how to manage my fears and has been a wealth of information and a great blessing in my life. I am only in my second month of chemo and still undecided about surgery as I still have questions I too want answered, but I feel this website will help me arrive at a good decision. You sound like you are in a difficult place but you are asking the right questions.

Continue to check back for follow ups....there are individuals here who will offer you info, support and encouragement. You won't feel so alone and things will get better. Stay strong....remain positive.....we're here for you. I hope my sharing has helped. Take care, wishing you the best. :) Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #5476 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Large Tumor
PS

I also wanted to tell you that my tumor was a "whopper"..

I also wanted to say hey to Joe.....Hey, Joe!!

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 10 months ago #5472 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Large Tumor
Mattsmudder,

I was 53 when dx'd in January of 2006. I had 2 TUR's by March 2006. I have had 12 BCG's. I will be 55 next week and so far so good. Nor recurrance.

I have already answered your post once, but it did not take. I'm thinking there are server problems. So, hence, my short clipped sentences.

I was scared too. But, try not to worry. The stage and grade will give you much more information.

Wishing you the best,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 10 months ago #5469 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Large Tumor
Mattsmudder yes they can be sure it is cancer without a biopsy. Some folks say it is not the size of the tumor that matters that is being superficial or invassive but I have come to see the larger ones are usually invassive tumors that is they grew into the muscle wall of the bladder. But don't get to alarmed as of yet. I was dx with a 8cm tumor on 1/6. I got the resection done but also a CT Scan of my chest, pelvis, and abdomen and also a Bone Scan this is how they check to see if it has spread or not. So mine being a large tumor after the tests thank God it was still contained to the bladder as yours may still be. I am being treated at the Univ of Penna. in Phila and they did the pre-op chemo first since the cancer was still contained to the bladder. I was done my chemo about 2 weeks ago and I am scheduled for my surgery on June 20 to have bladder removed and hopefully getting a neobladder as a replacement. My tumor also was growing into my left ureter and they had to put a stent into it to open up my ureter and get my left kidney functioning again during the resection (TURBT) and that worked. I know how you feel when I was dx it was like getting hit with a bomb the last thing I thought I hear. Then the anxiety of getting the TUR done and then the Ct Scan and Bone Scan but what worked for me so far was trying my best to focus positive and ready to fight to try and beat this. I am far from done yet I still have the surgery coming up and then there will be many follow ups to see how things are going and I am prepared for this. Wendy who runs the board here said once you have cancer your life changes forever and she is %100 correct but this type of cancer is treatable thank God. Don't go thinking the worst get the resection done and then the tests and once again try as hard as you can to focus positive and be ready to fight these are two big things that help you battle this disease. Anymore questions you might have you can always PM me and I will be more then happy to answer them. Hang tuff I wish you the best and take it one day at a time and once again think positive. Your Friend, Joe

16 years 10 months ago #5467 by mattsmudder
Large Tumor was created by mattsmudder
I am a 53 year old female. I was recently diagnosed with a large (over 7 cm.) tumor in my bladder. A biopsy has not been done but my urologist said it is cancer after viewing it with the scope. I will be having the resection soon. Can a urologist be sure that it is malignant without the biopsy? The large size really scares me. Is that a bad sign? I fear that it has been there a long time thereby allowing it to have spread or that it hasn't been there long but is just really aggressive. Either way I am afraid to hear the results of the biopsy. Many people here say the waiting is the worst but I am afraid of the answer. Did anyone else feel that way? Thank you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne