father in-law recently diagnosed

16 years 11 months ago #5376 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic father in-law recently diagnosed
Hi Patti,

Sorry your father-in-law and family is going thru this experience. although I am female and 42, I have had RC and neobladder just in March of 2007. My surgery was done robotically at Mayo's Rochester. Any major plumbing changes are tough mentally and physically. And I feared it, but I feared a bladder full of cancer more. Dr Blute said I was their star with a most rapid recovery inspite of 2 episodes of c diff.  There is a section here for men - maybe posting there will get some more relevent input for your father-in-law. Folks here are most genuine and helpful.

Let me know if I can help and God Bless, Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5373 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic father in-law recently diagnosed
Patti,

I am hoping that someone who's had a RC will jump in here soon.  The message board seems a little slow lately, but hopefully, someone who has been in your father-in-law's shoes will jump in before long.  Just from the outside looking in (I have not had Radical Cystectomy), I would say that if the docs are willing to do the surgery at his age this fact alone is very promising.  He must be in very good health other than BC.  This is a strong point, and lots of people have learned to live without bladders very happily.  I hope that some of them will pipe in soon.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 11 months ago #5372 by patti
father in-law recently diagnosed was created by patti
Hello, I am new to this message board- actually new to any support forum.
My father in-law diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer. he is 77 a very active 77 yr old skiing,softball recently ballroom dancing lessons!
He needs to make some decisions- he recently underwent his 2nd TU resection. His doctors are recommending removal of the bladder. we did get all 2nd opinions and it seems consistent with what to do next.
He doesn't want his bladder removed-we (his family) want him cancer free and feel this may best thing -as far as we know it has not spread anywhere else.
He seems to want to go the chemo/radiation route but based on his case- the stats don;t sound promising- they are ok but it sounds like most people go through rad/chemo and have to have their bladder removed anyway.
We are trying to get him in a positive mind set going forward -because we think he actually have a better quality of life if he did one of the bladder diversions.
thanks for any responses,patti

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne