Afraid of Test

16 years 11 months ago #5035 by brenda67
Replied by brenda67 on topic Afraid of Test
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all the replies... I am feeling much much better about going on Monday. At least until Sunday night haha

Ricky... I wished I liked beer hahaha... and hopefully he won't find a prostate when he is up there ;D He was actually up in my bladder two years ago and thought all was well.

My doctor did seem concerned when I was at my last visit... I was not ... until the urine cytology test came back abnormal. I also almost blew off this yearly visit.... holy cow.... glad I didn't do that.

I was glad to get the replies from the ladies about the test not hurting and Patricia .... i haven't noticed his hands shaking...lol he is a really nice old oriental guy who makes me feel very comfortable so far. He is a very warm person if you know what I mean.

I will see if he will let me watch the monitor... that should make it better too.

Thanks for all the tips and responses.... I really appreciate them and I will let you know what the results are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5021 by Kathleen_T
Replied by Kathleen_T on topic Afraid of Test
I had my first (and so far only) cystocopy a couple of weeks ago, with a rigid scope and no anesthesia.

It was annoying, and I would request topical anesthesia in the future, but it was not painful by any stretch.

Try to relax when you’re there, and you should be fine.

— Kathleen

16 years 11 months ago #5017 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Afraid of Test
Brenda,

Same here, and my uro uses a rigid scope... but he shoots something inside me to numb me first (and he does them with my bladder empty, not full)... there is no pain, and minimal discomfort...but if you can, ask him/her if you can watch the monitor - I forget all about the discomfort when we are talking about what we are BOTH looking at on the monitor during the procedures. And so far, the only thing growing in my bladder since my surgery is some scar tissue, thank heavens!

Good luck, and just remember to BREATHE!

Lauren
diag 12/05
TaG1

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

16 years 11 months ago #5010 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Afraid of Test
Brenda,

I'm just weighing in for your question.

I've had plenty of cystos in the last year, and I do not recall any of them being painful in the least.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 11 months ago #5007 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Afraid of Test
Brenda.....i didn't feel a thing...he used a local anesthetic on the "delicate" area and i never felt the flexible scope. We have a much shorter urethra than men so its much easier to get in there. Really it all depends on the skill of the person doing it...and i wouldn't worry about a 70 yr old doc......my 70 yr old ob/gyn diagnosed my cancer where everyone else pooh pooed me. As long as his hands aren't shaking!!!!......Pat

16 years 11 months ago #5005 by Ricky
Replied by Ricky on topic Afraid of Test
Hi Brenda. I had my first cytoscopy last month. Now being a guy and all, I tend to think our pain would be a bit higher, no? ;)

Anyways, I fortified myself with 2 24 ounce cans of Mickey's malt liquor, which loosened me up nicely.

I have to tell ya, it still was not the most pleasant experience I've had, it stung like heck when he got to the prostate area, (which lucky for you, you don't have), and he just kept telling me to breath, concentrate on breathing. It was over quickly though. They fill up your bladder with fluid while he's looking in there, and when you tell him you're full and have to go, he pulls out.

Again, it's no picnic but it's not as bad as I imagined it would be either. A very important test too, get er done!

Let us know how it went.

Rick

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne