Another newcomer

16 years 11 months ago #4872 by Kathleen_T
Replied by Kathleen_T on topic Another newcomer
Aha! I will insist on a topical in the future. Thanks.

— Kathleen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #4869 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Another newcomer
I never had a problem with the viewing tool..it was very flexible..and he did use a topical anesthetic and it didn't bother me at all.
And yes...i'm allergic to just about everything!!...but they forget and give it to me anyway!! Pat

16 years 11 months ago #4859 by Kathleen_T
I never minded a catheter the one or two times I had one, but I did not much like the viewing tool, which is steel, for one thing; and much larger than any catheter I have seen. I hope I can persuade hiim to use a topical anesthetic or something — it was very irritating. One way or another, though, I see that I will have to get used to it.

I can see why you hate epidurals! Maybe you are allergic to some of the drugs they use?

— Kathleen

16 years 11 months ago #4857 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Another newcomer
I should have insisted on someone else..but i was young...having a miscarriage...scared..and it was 2 in the morning.........believe me i have since grown. I should have at least reported him. I certainly would now!!!
I'm just one of these women who can't STAND a catheter in me in a very sensitive area...the faster i can get it out the better....and as long as there was no blood in the urine my doctor took it out right after i woke up...thank you thank you thank you!!!!
Now under long general anesthesia such as for the cystectomy i become Jeckyl/Hyde...i have no idea who the person is who imerges but she is a real terror so i'm told...and the subsequent pain killers only excite her more. I warn them ahead of time but they never believe me because i'm very articulate...but trust me...its not me....its evil pat. Thank God my husband was there ...he knew what was going on...i wasn't even nice to him....he convinced them to reduce my pain meds and finally i came out of it. The nurses were drawing straws to see who would take care of me...short straw got me!!!
Pat

16 years 11 months ago #4853 by Kathleen_T
When it comes to anesthesia, I try to opt for the less is more solution. The IV I am talking about is a mixture of a couple of things, and wears off in 15 or 20 minutes after they unplug you.

I do not remember losing use of my legs with the epidural — that does sound scary. But I was put on serious pain medication, and was in bed for several hours, so who knows? I was hardly in charge of anything at that point! <g>

I get epidural and facet-joint injections frequently for my back, but those include only a bit of novocaine to blunt the pain, not a real anesthetic. My doctor is very skillful, and I never have problems with those, but I have seen horror stories from others on the back pain list. It is always better to have competent people for these sorts of things — and unfortunately that can often be a matter of luck.

(Jack Daniels? My. You would think — well, hope — he would have been barred from working.)

— Kathleen

16 years 11 months ago #4852 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Another newcomer
KaT,

I stayed overnight with my first TUR.  It was elective, the insurance paid, and my Doc was good with that.  I'm glad that I did on the first one, because for one thing, you are just so scared and it is nice to have nurses come in and check your catheter.   I'm not sure that it is neccessary to stay over, but someone here at the forum recommended overnight, and it was just much better that first time.  It takes me forever to wake up with General, and when I do, I'm in a vile temper and want to beat people on the head.  I don't think it affects every one like this. But , I think it was best that people were not trying to wake me up and rush me out of there.

If your BC turns out to be like some of us here, TUR's and biopsies become old hat.

Best of luck today,
Rosemary  

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne