New to Forum. Blood in urine for years.

9 months 2 weeks ago #61843 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New to Forum. Blood in urine for years.
I don't have the exact statistics in front of me, but for a large majority of positive urinary microscopic blood results a reason is never found.  In fact, many primary care docs no longer do routine urinalyses, and this is one reason.  While it is a good idea to have this checked out it is unlikely to be related to bladder cancer.

This is a bit confusing....urinary blood CAN BE a symptom of bladder cancer, but is usually caused by multiple other things instead.  Ironically I was diagnosed with bladder cancer and have NEVER had a positive for urinary blood!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #61842 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic New to Forum. Blood in urine for years.
Welcome Penance17,

Stop and take the deep breath!  You are rightly unhappy in not being in the loop passing blood in your urine for years, that is wrong!

You URO is doing right with the standard protocol of tests of a CT scan and cystoscopy. You do want to find out why you have passed blood. More times this is not bladder cancer or urinary tract cancers. It can be MANY other things from unusual UTI's, passing stones, some kind of injury among many causes. Sometimes a few patients pass small amounts of blood with no reason found. That happened to my wife for a few months, and it cleared up after several tests. I also have another friend's wife that she had your problem for years with no known reason ever found.

The real message is you know nothing at this point and yes, waiting is no fun. It is always taking one day at a time as that is all we can control. Keep posting as you have questions and let's simply hope this will be nothing or something minor.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

9 months 2 weeks ago #61840 by Penance17
New to Forum. Blood in urine for years. was created by Penance17
Hi all, I was reviewing my urinalyses over the past three years and saw that I have had microscopic blood in all but one of the tests.  I have never reviewed these tests before and found it by accident. My doctor never said anything to me about the blood.  So know I’m scared!! The only other weird thing I have is some bladder incontinance when I wear something really tight.  I went to see a urologist yesterday and she didn’t seem too concerned but has ordered a CT scan and cystoscopy. She is also sent my urine to check for cancer cells.  I am so upset that my doctor didn’t say anything to me. I’m 52 years old. Anyone have blood in their urine for years and not have cancer??? 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne