next day after first BCG

1 year 1 month ago #61697 by Fabiom
Replied by Fabiom on topic next day after first BCG
I had a bad experience with my very first BCG. The BCG somehow got absorbed into my prostrate and i had a terrible prostatitis and pain for about 3 months. The urologist then stopped the BCG and six months later started dozing my bladder with motocitin.

About a year later the urologist did a prostrate biopsy on me, and they still found traces of BCG in my prostrate.

Another urologist then tried the BCG again on me, but this time left the catheter in until i emptied my bladder. The catheter acted as a seal between the urethra and the prostrate, and this time it worked ok, no side effects.

Now there is a big shortage of BCG globally i beleive. We have not got any here in South Africa in the last 6 months.

Now they are picking up cancer cells again in my urine with the urine cytology, but when they do a cystology (bladder inspection) they are not finding the source.

So now i have just been living with it for the last 2 years and i am feeling fine.

Fabio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #61696 by Alkamodaddy
Replied by Alkamodaddy on topic next day after first BCG
Hi Bill, Glad to hear things went well for you.  My fourth treatment went pretty much the same as the first 3.  I have now had 4 treatments, and each time a different nurse doing it, but as usual, I checked my dignity at the door. lol  I consider myself lucky that I have not experienced the nasty burning side effects.  I did buy the AZO as well, but have not had to use it yet.  I also experienced mild headaches following the treatments.  I am back at home now from traveling, but do feel quite fatigued.  Sounds like you got the routine right.  I hope your next ones go as smoothly.  We're all in the midst of some scary shit, but having a place to air it out and ask questions or advice does help.  Keep the faith!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pickle_Bill

1 year 1 month ago #61695 by Pickle_Bill
Replied by Pickle_Bill on topic next day after first BCG
So, it was actually no problem. Took an AZO and started drinking water about 15 minutes prior to my first void at the 2 hour mark. No burning...nothing. Drank 3+ bottles of water over the next 5 hours. No urgency, no pain. Bright orange urine from the AZO. Slept well, maybe just a bit of a headache and very minimal fatigue this morning. Feel well enough to get out and snow blow the driveway soon. So, pleasantly pleased. I know that treatments tend to get more difficult as time goes on, but hoping I'm one of the ones that handle it well.

@Alkamodadd, thank you for being here. I hope your 4th went well.

1 year 1 month ago #61693 by Alkamodaddy
Hi Bill, glad it’s so far so good. I would recommend you go ahead and start with the water. That’s what I did.  I drink about 1 bottled water an hour for at least 4 hours, to help flush the BCG.  

1 year 1 month ago #61692 by Pickle_Bill
Replied by Pickle_Bill on topic next day after first BCG
Catheter insertion wasn't too bad. 1/2 hour left to go before I can void. No problems holding it so far. Wondering if I should start drinking water now, or wait till after the first void.

1 year 1 month ago #61691 by Alkamodaddy
Hi Bill,  sorry for your diagnosis.  I am having my fourth BCG treatment today in about an hour.  They have been remarkably tolerant so far.  Eddie has been a great resource.  I am dealing with Nmibc and Carcinoma in situ.  Good luck with your first BCG.  For me the hardest part continues to be the catheter insertion.  Hope all goes well for you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne