Can I ever say I'm cancer free?

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #61637 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Can I ever say I'm cancer free?
Welcome Jacko,

Most cancer groups say you are "cured" at 5 years cancer free. That probably is a tried-and-true axiom. At the same time, I have read about a few that have recurrences at 8 and 10 years post. That is probably true about almost all cancers.

What I have learned is live one day and each situation one day at a time. That is all one can really control. I have been free almost 15 years and as many on this board will say: "Something else will kill you before bladder cancer". 

To answer directly I'd probably say I am cancer free and will simply keep up with checkups. Chances are good that you won't see this again. Go on and live your life!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jacko53, BeinBangkok

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #61636 by Jacko53
Can I ever say I'm cancer free? was created by Jacko53
I've completed surgery and 6 weeks of bcg. Ive had a "clean" scope with no visible tumors and a negative urine test. I start bcg maintenance next week. People ask me if I'm "cancer free" and I'm not sure how to answer. The oncology center has a bell that people make a point of ringing when the are "cancer free" and I am asked if I rang the bell. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne