Hey Eddie, sound like scary stuff. That was a rather high fever. Glad to hear it came down and you were able to go home. We all know that getting the BCG treatments do not come without the danger of complications. I already found that out. I tend to agree with you, that it was probably associated with the infusion. I was reading an article because of my issues from BCG in my prostate. It is rare, but you bladder can reflux after a treatment, and release BCG back into your urethra, or prostate. Hopefully whatever you got going on does not repeat itself. I plan on continuing the BCG at this point, but I also plan on having the discussion about switching to Gem/dox therapy on the 24th when I have my next scope. At least there is an alternative to BCG if we need it. Keep the faith! Hank
You certainly did the right move. Once 101 temp is reached I was told to call my URO. I am surprised, the ER might have called your URO if during regular hours (docs do need sleep and time off also). Anyway, I just wanted to reassure UTI's are common. I had one I believe between my 4th and 5th induction phase if my memory is correct.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
Well, it has been an interesting few days. I had my 8th BCG treatment on Wednesday. Things went normally for about the first 3 hours. Usual burning, cramping, and increased frequency. Then I started to feel chills that lasted for about 3 hours. After those 3 hour (about 4pm) I started running a low grade fever. then by 6pm my fever jumped to 103.0. It fluctuated up and down for the next hour or so and then it jumped to 105.6. Well, off to the ER we went. They took us right in but the ER Doc nor the Nurses had ever heard of BCG so they went on a study mission. well 6 blood draws and 1 urine collection later things started to ease and as quickly as my temperature jumped it came down to 100.8, 30 minutes later 99.5. So they gave me a 30 minute antibiotic drip and by 3:00am I was on my way home. My temp has been normal since then. My urologist says all depends on the test results whether I will get #9 on Tuesday or if we have to push it off another week. I know they are thinking UTI so they gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics, and I hope that is what it was but between you and me I think it was my body reacting to the BCG, which could spell bad news for my treatments moving forward. I just hope I can get #9 in and then another 3 month break. I'll keep you posted. Keep the faith, don't ever give up. More next week. Good lick on Monday Hank. Eddie
Thanks for all the support. Hannah, please let us know how that treatment goes. That is new to us and may be something we will have to do in the future. Your InSite will be very helpful if we have to move that way. Good luck to you and to everyone! Stay Strong. Eddie
Hey Eddie, sorry to hear your not tolerating the BCG well. On the bright side it’s only 2 more instead of 5. If it gets too bad, you can discuss lowering the dose. I have read, and my doc also said, that half a dose of BCG can be almost as effective as the full dose. Go figure. Anyways, keep the faith! As you said, the alternative to treatment is worse. Hank