Neo Bladder Incontinence

1 year 2 months ago #61566 by briteleaf
Replied by briteleaf on topic Neo Bladder Incontinence
I have a neuropathic bladder and cannot feel any need to pee nor am I able to pee. When I self-catheterize, I've been practicing the exercises and can am getting more control. I can push it out much faster than it drains if I focus on it. Achieving the push and then holding the push full volume for a longer time are preparing me for a neobladder in a few weeks. Practicing has been the key for me. I didn't think I was getting anywhere in the beginning but persistence worked for me. Don't know if that can be any help to you but hope it might be. May fortune attend you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago #61486 by Greatful
Replied by Greatful on topic Neo Bladder Incontinence
Greatful,

I just joined the forum, I hope you are improving.  I had my neo bladder surgery July 8 2022.  It has been 5 months and I still have leaking during the day.  However, it has drastically reduced from what it was.  I note some people gage this by how many pads are changed during the day.  But, I do not wait until they are drenched.  I change them usually upon urination because I do not like the damp feel.
I assume I could say I'm at 1 pad per day if I let it go.  I hold well.  But, certain movements will cause a leak.
Please do not despair.  Continue with your Kegel.  I have a Kegel PT that I go to.  At night, I was up every two hours for months because the wet diaper would wake me.  I have finally got to where i can sleep 3 to 5 hours at a time.
I was very depressed and worried I should have gone with the bag instead.  I am seeing a psychologist for counseling hand it has helped.
I am hopeful that one day I will be fully continent.  I should mention I am 71 years old and that may be a factor.  My surgeon was reluctant to do it at my age but I was in really good shape and very active.
I have learned how to deal with it.  I work full time and play golf and hunt.
I can now wear a stick on pad in my underwear.  This allows me to carry spared and go in the restroom and change without having to remove my pants to change a full pull up as I was before.
I'm not sure if they allow us to share phone numbers, but i would be willing to share experiences with you and help any way I can.
I now feel that even if I continue to have some incontinence during the day and always at night, I am still happy I went with the Neo rather than the bag.
Either method changes your life forever and you must deal with the negative aspects of each one.
I'm happy to be alive and have a second chance which many do not get.
Hopeful

1 year 7 months ago #61409 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic Neo Bladder Incontinence
I would not worry much at 6 weeks as the 2018 study in Canada indicates incontinence of neobladder improves in time.   According to the study involving 129 male patients and 29 female patients who had neobladder,  31% of male patients and 33% of female patients used more than 1 pad at 3 months,  but  7% of male patients and 16% of female  patients used more than 1 pad at 12 months during daytime.   Night time incontinence  increases.  55% of males and 48% of females had incontinence at 3 months, and 19% of males and 40% of females experienced incontinence at 12 months.   A couple patients with neobladder choose to wear a condom catheter when they go to bed so they can sleep through the night.  

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5994980/

best

p.s.  I still have bladder so I cannot comment from my experience.

1 year 7 months ago #61408 by Greatful
Neo Bladder Incontinence was created by Greatful
Hello
It has been 6 weeks since my surgery for a Neo Bladder.  I am still incontinent.  I do Kegel exercises; sets of 10 holding 15 seconds 5 times per day.  I am constantly changing diapers.  I'm worried it is taking so long.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne