Cytology

1 year 9 months ago #61340 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cytology
To Ed:
Yup...you missed all the excitement
bladdercancersupport.org/forum/8-non-invasive-superficial-bladder-cancer-questions-and-comments/47543-dodged-a-bullet-and-an-update.html#61328

But it turned out OK.  Still NED after 14 years.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #61339 by EdFlaherty
Replied by EdFlaherty on topic Cytology
To:   sara.anne   

Did I miss something, you had a recent TURBT?  I thought that you had been NED for several years. Are you OK?
I/we hope that you are doing well.

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #61337 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cytology
My understanding of the information on your portal is that the presence of inflammation is confirmed since there are atypical and degenerative cell groups. However there is no mention of any malignant cells present or cells that potentially could be malignant.It is indeed annoying to just receive some un-interpretable information with no explanation. You do need to discuss this with your urologist so that you can have a better understanding and hear their interpretation. As you may have seen in my most recent post my cystoscopy showed some red spots that now appear to be irritation but my urologist has now put me back on a six month cystoscopy schedule instead of the year that I had grown used to

sort of off-topic—-I had a weird experience obtaining my pathology report from my recent TURB. The three hospital systems in my local area collaborate so that information that goes to one goes to all at which you have doctors. Since I have doctors in all three systems any diagnoses, medication changes or test results show up on all three. This is good since any doctor has immediate access to current records. However my pathology report showed up on a different doctor’s portal with no interpretation a day before it showed up on my urologist’s!  Fortunately since it said no malignancy present I could understand it immediately

.Back on topic I think you can feel a bit of relief but you do want to discuss this with your doctor since urine cytology is not always clear-cut.

Sara Anne 

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

1 year 9 months ago #61336 by Jjbrown
Cytology was created by Jjbrown
Cytology report is on my patient portal with no doctor to be found!!! No call for 3 days now. 
Asking for advice...
Report states:
Atypical cells present
Degenerative urothelial cell groups.
acute inflammation. 
My cysto showed inflammation,  which is why doc did cytology.
I cannot contact her, does this mean my cancer is back??

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne