Newly diagnosed t1g3

1 year 11 months ago #61283 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newly diagnosed t1g3
Not being given BCG would a be a big issue with me. If the shortage is in that practice there are othe agents that can be administered. I would insist it be given or get another practice. Maybe part of this the the practice of medicine in Canada. I have heard pros and cons of how fast the government moves on different maladies.

On TURBs it is common to wait 4-6 weeks before administering any treatment. The bladder has to heal.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 11 months ago #61282 by Hbs187
Replied by Hbs187 on topic Newly diagnosed t1g3
Thank you very much for the response. We are in Ontario in Canada. he had his 4th turbt yesterday and is doing fine. 

1st was Ta3g 
2nd was T13g
3rd was Ta3G
and his 4th yesterday the doctor said was very small and a quick 10 minutes to get it out.  The turbt procedures are approximately 4-6 months apart. We are booked for a scope in 2 months at which point the doctor says if there is no tumour we will start BCG. He says they let the bladder heal after turbt before starting BCG. if another tumor has grown then we will turbt and do it over again. It seems he doesn’t want to do BCG unless the bladder has a bit of time to heal and is free from any growths? 

he has many co-morbidities. He is diabetic, has a circulation problem that required surgery, has heart issues, has minor kidney issues, has been a heavy smoker for most of his life and recently quit but he has a tough time not smoking. He’s lived a hard life. I don’t see him dealing with RC very well at his shape and age, but I am concerned why he has not had BCG yet even after requesting it multiple times. 

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #61281 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newly diagnosed t1g3
Welcome Hbs187.

All inquiries and venting are welcome. Yes, I too am curious why such a long time between scopes and TURBs. With grade 3 tumors, this should get top billing. I also question why no BCG! That is the gold standard for eradication of this disease. There are some shortages of this drug which could explain your Doc's thinking. Does your Dad have other co-morbidities such as overweight, smoker or diabetic that sometimes factor into surgery? I know of 2 people that have had a cystectomy above age 80+ and still doing fairly well 3-5 years later (one is a personal friend).

Where are you located? If in the USA, someone should have a place to recommend for a second opinion. It is time and sounds somewhat urgent. If elsewhere you still want a center or teaching hospital that treats a LOT of bladder cancer.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

1 year 11 months ago #61280 by Hbs187
Newly diagnosed t1g3 was created by Hbs187
My first post on the forum. Been reading since initial diagnosis. 

my dad got diagnosed in dec 2020 and had a turbt that came back TaG3 as well as some cis. He had a cystoscope showing recurrence at 3 months and His second turbt about 3 months later (6 months after initial turbt) showed T1G3. He’s had another recurrence and is about to go in for another turbt. 

I am confused as to why the doctor waits so long between turbt procedures, and also why they haven’t suggested BCG, even though I have been asking about it at each appointment. He seems to just be fine with doing repeated turbt while it is clearly progressing. I feel as if the doctor has seen this thousands of times so knows where it’s headed and that’s why he hasn’t offered BCG or more aggressive treatments. 

my dad turns 80 soon, so the options are limited and preservation should be front and centre. RC would be very hard on him, or maybe not even possible. I guess this post is half venting/half wondering if this process is normal? Seems very lackadaisical. I’m guessing because of his age the doctors are just carrying him along. 

thanks for whoever reads this. 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne