Cystoscopy Scheduled...worried

2 years 6 days ago #61264 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Cystoscopy Scheduled...worried
Random,

Sounds like a Doc who is on the ball and has found an answer to the 'incidental finding" of wall thickness. That is the sort of story we like to hear. Good luck with the BPH. 

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 week ago #61257 by RandomUser1234
Replied by RandomUser1234 on topic Cystoscopy Scheduled...worried
Thank you for the replies. Had the cystoscopy done today and the doctor said my bladder looks fine although he is still running an urinalysis on a urine sample he collected. He said my prostate was more difficult to pass through so he believes BPH is the cause of the bladder wall thickening. I feel like a weight has been lifted at least for now. Thank you.

2 years 1 week ago #61256 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Cystoscopy Scheduled...worried
Random,
While there are variations, a generally accepted standard for wall thickness is "3 to 5 mm FOR A FULLY DISTENDED BLADDER".  When the bladder is not fully distended (incompletely distended) (not fully stretched) reviewer judgement becomes involved.

The good news is that no other suspicions were raised by the US exam, and you report no symptoms.

Many of us arrived on this forum due to "incidental findings" from a non-bladder study. For most, follow up tests give an all clear. For others, the early catch was (later) most welcomed. 

Caught early, BC is highly treatable. It is well worth the effort required to settle the "thickness" question. 

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

2 years 1 week ago #61255 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Cystoscopy Scheduled...worried
WelcomeRandomUser 1234,

You won't know anything until the cystoscopy is done. Often nothing will be observed and that will be it. IF there is anything suspicious seen then 2 things often will happen. A Ct scan of the torso is often used to rule out anything other anomalies. Then, depending on the scope and a possible scan a TURB (trans urethral resection of the bladder) is done for a biopsy. The odds are good that this is nothing. Waiting is the worst part and worrying is wasted effort. Take one day at a time as that is all you can do.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RandomUser1234

2 years 1 week ago #61254 by RandomUser1234
Cystoscopy Scheduled...worried was created by RandomUser1234
I am 37 years old and have a cystoscopy schedule after an unrelated ultrasound found:

"Incompletely distended. Wall thickness of 6.2 mm (upper limits of normal is 5 mm). No intraluminal calcifications or abnormal echogenic foci."

I have no symptoms of anything urinary related. How worried should I be? 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne