sheaths

2 years 2 months ago #61191 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic sheaths
Byron,

Yes indeed a problem. A dry night is wonderful. Hopefully some of this is useful for you.
My survival guide 'Pee while you sleep".

Replace the catheter with a sheath - UTIs gone. (almost)
Throw away the mattress that is "soft" or has springs.
Plywood on top of bed frame, thick enough it does not sag.
Top with 2 or 3 or 4 inch high density foam that supports your weigh and pads the bones.
NO night bag - if you roll the wrong way, there will be a puddle and an empty bag at the side of the bed.
Leg bag at night, inside shorts with a 'secret' inside pocket for the bag - always in the right spot.
Only need to get up every 600 cc or 1000 cc (600 cc bag seems much lighter) Twice a night tops.
Works for me - I do set an alarm to make sure I awake in time..
Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #61190 by byron
sheaths was created by byron
I recently wrote about self catheters. All the companies who make catheters also seem to make sheaths. I have tried using nearly all of them and from companies who dont make catheters and there is not much between them. I really want to write how the problem affects me. I have to go almost every hour of the night. Apart from waking up having to get up go is not conductive to a good nights sleep. Emptying the bladder before going to sleep doesnt help at all because even if you drink nothing the bladder is still at work and finds urine for you. It surprises me when a urology doctor tells me not to drink and not seeming to know that unless I am the only one like that. 
So one has to find some way of lying in bed and 'going'. This is not a simple matter and the only real way is to have a normal catheter which I dont want. So I have tried using sheaths which cover the limb. I will state my problem and if readers know how to resolve it I would be really very interested and I will also state my solution which isnt perfect. So what are the problems.
The sheath is made up of three parts each one not being in my mind correct. For a start it is hard to get the correct measure. The top of the limb is quite thicker than the base which the manufacturers dont seem to realise and dont make the sheath accordingly. My size is really 30mm but after trying that size it hurted me for a few weeks afterwards so I use now size 35mm. Which of course fits the top and is too large for the base. But it shouldnt really matter a larger size. Now unless it is stuck on the limb with adhesive glue it will come off. One cant make it tight enough on the limb without hurting you. Now they sell glue and adhesive remover and barrier cream. Some of them can 'sting' for quite a long time so one has to use one which doesnt. Now one doesnt really want to use super glue, just enough that it shouldnt come off while being used. One can buy 'unglued' ones which one can put glue on oneself. The less glue that can be used the better.
Now the tube which connects it to the bag is hardly a few  mm inner dimension and really not wide enough with a 'heavy stream' and an air lock see further it will come back up and go past the adhesive making you wet. Then there is the bag which is similar to filling a hot water bottle there is always an air pocket and this can be also in the tube which again makes it go back up especially if the stream isnt heavy enough to push it. Now with lying down in the bed another problem occurs. Usually the bed sags in the middle where you are lying and the tube to go out of the bed has to go up and over. Water and urine always go to the lowest point and again the urine will go back up.
One can have a long tube to the end of the bed lengthwise but again it isnt feasible. Lying higher on a cushion is also difficult one has to move about to stop getting cramps. One cannot of course really wear pyjamas either since the tube would have to go 'through' them and one cant be sure again that it doesnt go up. Unless one can be sure that you wont wet yourself that also doesnt help sleeping. 
These are the problems as I see them. I have my own solution which I am still working on and would very much like to hear from others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne